0.4 | A Nickel Against The World

04 | A Nickel Against The World

→ The ones you love will always be with you

→ Where ever you are, I know you are watching

━━━

"WIGGLY, WIGGLY, WIGGLY" I sang, pushing the very evil broccoli in circles around my plate. My tongue danced around, playing with the tooth at the back of my mouth.

"Jess, stop wiggling your tooth and eat the broccoli missy," daddy scolded without looking up from his computer on the dining room table, an amused smile grazing his face.

"Okay..." I droned quietly but made no move to move the silver fork to my mouth.

"Angel!" 

"But... the evil broccoli is a meanie head."

"The 'evil broccoli' is good for your health," daddy stated, using air quotes.

"Fine," I groaned, deciding to face the wrath of the broccoli. After a moment of inspection, I finally lifted the broccoli off my plate and shoved it into a mouth, a frown on my face. After a full moment of chewing, I swallowed the broccoli, finally getting rid of one out of the hundred on my plate. 

Putting my tiny chubby fingers near the tooth at the front of my mouth, I continued wiggling it, the feeling satisfying to me. On one wiggle though, the tooth fell out. I held it with my fingers and put it on my palm, the bloody tooth serving as such a mystery to me. 

"Angel, what are you doing?" daddy asked, sighing loudly before finally looking over at me. I stay frozen in my inspection and daddy raises an eyebrow before pushing up his glasses to finally notice the tooth on my hand. "Oh Jess!" 

Walking over to me, daddy lifts the tooth out of my hand and grabs my clean hand, dragging me over to the bathroom sink. He pulls out my pink stool from under to sink and I climb onto it. I open my mouth wide to look in the mirror and the empty place of where my tooth once lay makes me gasp. 

"Daddy!" 

"See sweetie, you're growing up!" 

"I'm a big girl now!" I claim proudly and daddy helps me rinse out my mouth. He washes the tooth in the sink before wrapping it in a paper towel and putting it inside a plastic ziploc bag. 

"Ever heard of the tooth fairy, princess?" daddy asks, handing the bag to me. I hold it carefully, clapping it in the middle of both my hands. 

"Toof fairy?"

"The tooth fairy, love. Every time someone loses a tooth and they put it under their pillow, the tooth fairy gives them a present in the middle of the night and takes the tooth."

"The tooth fairy steals the tooths!" 

"Teeth angel, not tooths," daddy says laughing. "That's one way of looking at it but the tooth fairy gives you a surprise present instead."