Chapter 6 Ghosts of Our Past - Kirito

It is foolish to fear what we have yet to see and know.
- Itachi Uchiha

Hello, it's Kirito again. I don't know why Leads is making me tell you the rest of this part in our case of the Safe Zone PK case but, anyways I'm going to pick up right where she left off.

Yolko's murder once again flashed before my eyes. Leads was kneeling near the window crying. I was still at the window as well, leaning out and looking at the ground. I took a breath of anger as I looked around the area outside. I saw a cloaked figure standing on the rooftops a short distance away. The figure turned and began to run across the rooftops. The only thing I knew is that I wasn't going to allow the murderer to get away this time.

"I'm going after him," I said just loud enough for them to hear.

Before Leafa or Venus could even say anything, I leapt out the window and somehow managed to land on the rooftop across from the building we were in. I began jumping from rooftop to rooftop, trying to catch up to the murderer, with my hand on the handle of my sword, just in case I needed it. As I ran on the rooftop adjacent to the one he was on, he looked over his shoulder at me.

I got a good look at the attacker's lower face. I could tell that he had light-colored skin. Before I could draw my sword or even command him to stop running, he pulled out a blue teleporting crystal.

"Damn!" I cursed with anger.

In an effort to stop him, I threw some of my throwing knives at him, but only to have them blocked by some kind of dark purple shield.

Where the hell does he think he's going?!

The bells in town began to toll as he teleported away, leaving me in anger.

"Shit," I muttered as I fell backwards, landing on my butt on the rooftop.

My eyes stung and for some reason, I wanted to cry. I pulled my knees to my chest and cupped my hands over my mouth and nose. I willed myself not to cry. I sat there for God knows how long, just thinking about the fact that I had failed again to protect someone.

I finally got up and headed back towards the inn that Leafa and Venus were at watching Schmitt. When I opened the door to the room and was already getting berated by Leafa.

"You idiot!" she exclaimed as she slapped me across the cheek. "Why did you just run off like that?! You can't just do that!"

I didn't say anything. She let out a sigh in response.

"Well? What happened?" Venus asked.

I shut the door behind me.

"I lost him. He teleported off somewhere. The system is supposed to protect players inside the Inns. I thought if anywhere, she'd be safe here! Damn it!"

I banged my fist on the wall, causing a purple tag, labeled "Immortal Object" to appear. Meanwhile, Schmitt was freaking out. He may have been crying and he certainly wasn't talking. Or, so I thought.

"That robe was Griselda's," he finally said.

The three of us looked at him with shock. He began shaking as he continued to speak.

"That was Griselda's ghost. She's come back to get revenge on us! Think about it... Only a ghost can PK someone in a Safe Zone!"