-18- 🌙 Witches

"Surrounded by black witches, you don't know what to do. Weak without the magic, the madness is killing you."
~Candlemass, 'Witches'

~~~

*Tin's POV*

The bell rings, signaling the end of yet another mundane day. Swiping my books from my desk, I make my way through the crowded halls to my locker. Laughter and chatter fills the spaces of the hallways my eyes dare to flick towards the source of the laughter, and I immediately regret it.

The witches.

Even though our school is a mixture of creatures and magical beings, I've done my best to avoid other witches. My dad, Champ, has tried encouraging me to interact with the witches. You know, learn how to control my magic and learn more about my culture. But I have no interest in such things. Wolves are pack creatures, and have a natural dislike for other species. I don't understand how Can stands being around his faerie friend, Good.

Vampires are the worst. Damned bloodsuckers. It makes me sick to imagine depending on blood to survive. I've heard the majority of vampires in our area settle for animal blood, and leave the humans alone. Regardless, the thought of drinking that stuff makes my stomach churn.

Witches are a different story. I don't know how it began; but there's a mutual dislike and distrust between witches and werewolves. It makes me curious how my biological parents managed to even conceive me.

Being half-witch, half-wolf, I'm comprised of two creatures that naturally hate each other. I'm biologically inclined to hate myself. Sounds fun, right?

One of the witches catches me staring their way. She smirks before sauntering overt to me, and I have to force myself to not avert my eyes. Standing tall, I face her with a blank expression.

"Hey, hybrid," she purrs; the flirty tone making bile rise in my throat.

I raise an eyebrow. "You know who I am?"

"Of course," the witch giggles. "Tul has told us all about you."

"Who's Tul?" I question. The witch opens her mouth to answer when another voice speaks up.

"Lynn! That's enough," a witch with long, sleek black hair approaches us. Something about her is oddly familiar... but I can't put my finger on it.

Lynn pouts. "Aw, come on, Ayisha. Let me have my fun with the hybrid."

"You're running your mouth about things you shouldn't be talking about," Ayisha scolds. "Let's go."

The burning question of who is Tul sits on my tongue, but it gets stuck when my eyes catch the necklace around Ayisha's neck. A star-shaped charm made out of opal.

Before I can interrogate her on the startling familiar necklace, the two vanish from the hallway. Frustrated, I clench my fists at my side.

Why does she have that necklace? And who the hell is Tul?

***

"No."

"Come on, Tin!" Pete softly pleads while tugging on my sleeve.

"No," I repeat firmly, taking the books from my locker and placing them neatly in my bag. "There's no way I'm going to voluntarily be a fourth wheel to you and your mates."

That last word slips off my tongue like burning acid. It doesn't sit right with me that Pete has two male mates. Regardless of my own situation, I still don't think it makes sense for males to be mated together in the first place. But seeing as how I have a male mate, that would be hypocritical of me to judge him, wouldn't it?

Except Pete somehow received two male mates, which is a whole new level of unfathomable horror. I mean, how would that even work? Sex between two guys is one thing, but three—

Actually, I'm not even going to go there. My skin is crawling just thinking about the three of them together in that way.

"Please," the Omega whines. "This is my first time out with them since discovering we're mates. I'm nervous."

"All the more reason for me not to go," I respond blandly. "You shouldn't hide behind me when it comes to your... mates. You should make an effort so things aren't uncomfortable."

Pete blinks once in surprise. "Wait... that was actual advice. Aren't you against them being my mates?"

Sighing, I close my locker and face the Omega. "Whether or not I'm against it is irrelevant. They are your mates. And if you want a good relationship with them, some quality time would be beneficial. You all started off as friends, so the transition to mates might feel a little awkward."

"It's not awkward," Pete blurts before turning pink. "I'm just... nervous. I like them both so much. I'm worried I'm going to say or do the wrong thing. But it's not awkward."

"For you, maybe."

"Huh?"

"It's not awkward for you," I point out. "But what about for Ae and Pond? How do you know it's not awkward for them? They're both Alphas and have been friends for a long time. They probably never thought of each other romantically, unlike you."

Pete's mouth forms an O when he realizes what I'm saying. As my words settle, his dark eyes stretch into panicked saucers.

"I didn't think about that," he whispers in horror. "Oh Goddess, what should I do? How do I make things less awkward for them?"

"Quality time," I confirm with a nod. "Go on your date and try to ease any tension between them. You don't need me there."

"Some date it'll be," Pete huffs under his breath. "They'll probably direct their attention towards Can whenever they're feeling uncomfortable."

That manages to stop me in my tracks. Pausing, I look at Pete with my head tilted in questioning.

"Can will be there?" I ask lightly.

Pete hums his confirmation. "Didn't I tell you that? Ae invited Can, so I tried inviting you. Guess we were both trying to avoid things feeling awkward."

"I changed my mind."

"About what?"

"I'm going," I decide suddenly. "I'll be there tonight."

"What? But you just said—"

"I won't be there to crash your date. The three of you need to be alone," I assure him before slowly smiling. "Which means someone needs to keep our pup preoccupied."

~~~

I'm the literal worst

Before you guys try to defend me, ITS BEEN TWO MONTHS JFC

Shit has just been really tough lately and I'm working through it

aaaaahhhhHHHHHHHH

anyway ☺️

I've missed you guys. How have you been?

Next chapter will have that goooood smut, so just hang on

Until next time 🖤
-Gumbie

Until next time 🖤-Gumbie