Ch. 23 | The Picnic

Summary: Spencer lectures Reader about the danger of picnics.

Content Warning: Gun mention

—————————————————

Although I'd been inside (Y/n)'s apartment several times now, I couldn't say I'd ever actually looked much at my surroundings. It felt strange to admit that, mostly because I felt like I was doing something wrong; like I was a traitor to my job.

But then again, it felt worse to try to profile her. The few times I had made it obvious, she had made it very clear it was unappreciated. I could understand why.

So, before we even got to her door, I tried to quiet the voices screaming in my head, telling me to look for clues to all the unknowns about her. It wasn't because I was expecting her to be hiding anything; I just wanted to know everything about her.

I could simply wait for her to tell me, though. We had all the time in the world, right?

"Laura, I'm home!" She called out immediately after breaching the entrance, following the exclamation with a very hurried request. "Spencer is here so please don't be weird!"

The response was a calm, steady series of footfalls down the hall. The girl stuck her head around the corner, peeking at the two of us with a devilish grin.

"Pleasure to finally meet you, Dr. Reid."

I told myself I probably shouldn't be this nervous. If she was friends with (y/n), she was most likely a decent person. But let's just say women around that age had never been particularly kind to me. They brought to the surface a lot of memories I'd tried very hard to bury.

She didn't put her hand out to shake, which told me they'd already probably talked about me more than I'd have liked. 'Wait,' I thought to myself, 'Is it okay to profile her roommate?'

"I'm going to go get a basket together. Wait in the living room, my kitchen is a disaster."

Before I could argue, she had already disappeared, leaving me stranded in the hallway with her roommate who looked ready to cause trouble. I just hoped it wouldn't the kind that revolved around me.

She waved a hand in front of her, motioning for me to make my way into the living room. Once we were there, she immediately took a seat, but I remained standing. Felt better to be able to escape.

The silence was awkward and suffocating. I could feel her staring at me, but she wasn't saying anything. It felt wrong to look back.

"She says you read people for a living." Her voice had a hint of skepticism in it I'd grown used to. "Sounds kind of like what psychics say."

"Yeah, we use a lot of the same strategies, too. They just aren't as honest about it as we are."

"What do you see here?"

That was what got me to turn around and face her. She looked so comfortable, curled up on the couch.

"Pardon me?" The question caught me off guard, even though it shouldn't have. I'd heard it so many times.

"What does our apartment say about us?" She asked, clearly not understanding why it was an inappropriate thing to ask. Or more likely, just didn't care. Curiosity is a powerful thing.

I cleared my throat before looking back away and saying, "I agreed not to profile (y/n)."

"Well, can you at least tell which stuff is hers?"

I'm sure she was just checking to see if I was legitimate or just scamming her. Maybe she was checking to see if I was too good at it.

She didn't need to worry. (Y/n) could handle herself. She wasn't tricked easily. In fact, most of my intrigue and concern surrounding her unknowns was just how good she was at hiding things.