Ch. 5: We Never Do Anything

We pull into the big, purple, havoc ridden house. Also known as Chris's Kingdom.

I glance over at Grit and put on the biggest smile I can muster up. He glances back at me and unlocks the doors, "Call me whenever you're done if Penn can't come and get you."

I nod and step swiftfully out of the car. I see off my brother and turn towards the door of the big purple house.

Before I reach it, the doors swing open and my name is being shrilled by four 6 year olds. Melissa, Hailey, Yasmine and Josh come barreling at me.

I drop my stuff and prepare for impact. But then I hear Chris scream from the door, "FREEZE YOU DEVIL BEASTS."

The gang of children stop in mid step and we all turn to see Chris, standing there, soaking wet.

Melissa is the first one to start running again. Her frizzy red hair brushes past me as she uses me as a shield. Her identical twin Yasmine is next to surpass me. Her red friz is pulled back into cute twin braids. Hailey is the third to make it to saftey. She is a younger identical copy of Chris. Except Hailey's hair is long. Chris has a bob. Then the last to make it to the safety zone is Josh. Josh has dark skin and black hair. Literally none of these children look like they could be quadruplets but Chris's mom had them naturally.

Chris screams some cuss words at her younger siblings and I can here them all giggling.

Carol shoves Chris out of her way coming through the door. She smiles when she sees me, "Crayola! You get to see our send off!"

Thats right. Chris's family is going to visit their dad in Wyoming. Chris, who remembers clearly why he got sent to jail all those years ago has refused to see him since.

Chris's mom uses the break from the kids to hang with her friends back in Wyoming.

I open the mini vans door and the children pile in. Carol opens the trunk and starts packing. She glances up at Chris and shakes her head, "Change your clothes before you catch a cold."

Chris's face is bright red from repressed anger. And stomps inside.

I help finish packing the car and Carol brings me in for hug, "No boys, no party's, no sex, no alcohol and etc. I say this because I care. Not because I think you would."

I nod my head in compliance and smile, "Have fun in Wyoming, Carol!"

She makes her way to the drivers seat and smiles, "Make sure Chris doesnt stay inside the whole weekend!"

Chris comes running out in a new outfit when her mom starts the car. Chris and I smile and wave as we watch them back out of the drive way. We don't stop until they turn left off the street.

Chris pulls me into a hug and squeels, "We have the house to our selves!"

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

We sit in Chris's room on uncomfortable bean bag chairs. The one Chris is sitting on is furry and looks like Elmo. Mine is not furry and has rainbow zebra print on it.

Chris is reading a book and I am sitting on her laptop with Disney Junior playing in the background.

Chris puts down the book and sighs, "We never do anything fun."

I look up at her and smile, "We also have this conversation everytime we are together."

Chris lets out an annoyed sigh, "I wanna do something though."

I shrug and turn my attention back to the laptop, "We can't drive. And you live to far away from anything decently fun."

She shuts the laptop and smiles, "I know a few friends of yours who can."