12

Kobe had taken over the driving from Kieran they needed to stop or they'd be out of gas. He pulled over turning the engine off. Kieran stirred waking. 'Why have we stopped?' He asked groggily.

'We're nearly out of gas Ke.'

'How far are we from the next station?'

'Not far.'

'Will the car get us there?'

'Let's hope so. Once we get gas we'll find some digs.'

'For how long?'

'We're all bushed, so a few days tops.'

'Will Ice reach Cross Keys before us?'

'Let's hope not.'

'Okay.' He turned the key the engine splattered. 'Come on you bitch.' He turned the key again. 'Mother..'

'What's wrong?'

'It won't start.'

'Use the revs.'

Kobe tried again using the revs it turned over he changed gear pulling away. Kelley sat outside it was so peaceful just watching the wildlife out here they had to be close to their destination. She feared this the most. Ice was very unpredictable, his mood relatively changed he scared her, but she never let on he did. Phoenix knew he could scare her easily he had in the past to get results, he was so angry at the world, so disillusioned. He had Ashleigh where no one could get to her she was beginning think he'd even out smarted Ice with vanishing into Cross Keys. If he did know where it was he sure as hell wasn't letting on he did.

She missed Kieran it had been almost two weeks and she was beginning to think that they were never going to get to Cross Keys and if it even existed.

Ice kissed her cheek sitting next to her. 'You okay babe? You seem a little lost this morning.'

She turned looking at Ice. 'Is there such a place as Cross Keys?'

'Yes there is.'

'Why's it taking so long to get there?'

'It's not.'

'It seems like we're going round in circles Ice.'

'That's because we are.' He said pulling himself up, walking away.

'What do you mean?'

'Come on I'll show you.'

She pulled herself up walking cautiously over to him. He paced his arms over her shoulder. 'It's just over there past the mountains it's a big place.'

'Oh.'

'What's wrong Kelley?'

'Nothing.'

'There is.'

'Just if it was that easy to get to why's it taking so long?'

'I just thought it was best this way.'

'So you could get inside me?'

He looked at her. 'No. Look Kieran's probably realised you're not there by now, he's more than likely to be making his way down there, or told Phoenix by now, but let's hope not we've come this far, besides I had to take care of you babe you were ill for a week. Ke will want to get to you as quick as he can, but sleep is our biggest fall Kelley we all need it no matter how hard we try to ignore it, it creeps up on us. If we don't get sleep it becomes our biggest enemy depravation and we fall, after exhausting ourselves into it.'