chapter 21

Eddie was sitting in a lonely table in the dinning room. All the other "pacients" were talking with their friends and laughing at some funny comments like they were in high-school instead of a conversion camp. He kept eating quietly his lunch when someone sat next to him but, when he look up at him, fear invaded his little body.

"Wasn't expecting to see you here, Kaspbrak. Heard your mom got arrested, I'm sorry."

"She's the reason why I'm here so don't be."

Eddie felt curious on why such a bully had been sent there but he ignored it since he wanted to stay alive after all.

"Tozier, am I right?"

The freckled boy chuckled as his cheeks started blushing.

"Bowers, am I right?" he imitated him.

Patrick gulped and tried to hide his embassament. Did everyone already know that?

"I'm sorry." Eddie said. "It sucks to be stuck here just because of who we love."

Patrick ate a little of his lunch and spoke with his mouth full, which Eddie found disgusting.

"You get used to it, eventually."

"I don't want to."

"I know, shortstack." he swallowed his food and kept talking. "But you will get out. When was the last time you saw him?"

Eddie breathed deeply while trying to hold his tears back.

"Three months ago."

"You must have faith, Kaspbrak."

"Do you?" he asked, hopeful.

Patrick chuclked and raised his eyebrows.

"After some years you lose it. Do you remember when you Losers found Will's body? That was the last time I saw the gang. I've been locked up here since then."

Feeling sorry for him, Eddie put his hand on Patrick's arm. Patrick looked down at him and smiled sadly.

"You will get out too, Hockstetter. I promise."

"Yeah, well." he sighed, desperately. "Don't. Two years ago I would have killed you for touching me, you know that, right?"

"I know." he giggled. "But you won't now. Why?"

Patrick put his hand on top of his but before he could answer some nurse had shouted at them to keep their distance between people of the same sex. Patrick stood up quickly and walked away without saying goodbye to him.

Eddie stared at him leaving his side, feeling melancholic. After so many months he had been lonely and depressed but, despite he still loved Richie, he had felt something different with Patrick. Something he couldn't stop thinking about.

//

"I'm going to kill you both!" he pointed at Stanley. "And you go first!"

Stanley frowned, confused.

"Richie, calm down, dude..."

"Fuck all of you and your fucking love stories!" he kept screaming. "My Eddie is literally dying inside that hellhole and all you can think about is having sex and kissing and hugging and-"

"Jeez. What are you even talking about?" Mike asked.

"Do not start with your bullshit, Michael! Stop denying obvious facts! If not, why would Maeve be here now?"

The girl quickly showed his middle fingers before Mike could put them down.

"Not now." he whispered her. "You know how sensitive he is since-"