One Last Time

Two hours later, the four of us are on a plane to Cambodia. A Statesman plane, to be precise. And no, we did not ask before we took it. After Harry told us why he doesn't think it would be a great idea to keep working with the American secret service, we finally decided to trust him and got up with our own plan. Merlin, Harry and Eggsy were going to face Poppy and her squad while I would be condemned to stay on the plane and instruct them from there.

During the flight we are sitting in the lounge, not talking much. My brother has a concerned look on his face and suddenly I remember the phone call he got earlier, while Harry and I were arguing. "Hey Eggsy, everything okay? You look sort of upset. Who called you earlier?" He swallows and then slightly shakes his head. "I'm... fine. No one important, really. Don't worry about me, Jane." Yeah, sure. I totally believe him. "Eggsy, just tell us, for heaven's sake. Who was it and what did they say?" He sighs heavily. "Let's not, really. You two just stopped arguing, I don't wanna cause another quarrel." Harry decides to interfere. He gets up and moves to the bar at the other side of the lounge. "Why don't I make us something nice to drink and then you tell us what's bothering you, Eggsy? We won't snap again, promised. Martini?" "Yeah alright, thank you." Harry looks at me. "What about you, darling?" "I don't think alcohol is a good idea with all the medications I'm on right now." He smiles and nods. "Then orange juice for the lady. Helps you get back on your feet faster." Harry comes back with three glasses and sits down in the chair next to me. "So?", he asks Eggsy.

My brother tells us about Tilde. That she wanted him to marry her before he left for this mission. That he refused because he was afraid of making such a bound. That she then broke up with him and took drugs. That now she is going to die if our mission fails. "I just don't know if I'm ready for all this responsibility yet. I didn't want to rush things, you know. And now it might just be too late." Eggsy tries to explain to my boyfriend, who takes another sip of his Martini, before he answers. "When I was shot, what do you think the last thing was that flashed through my mind? It was your sister, standing next to me, in a wedding dress, in front of the altar. And the thought that I am never going to experience that moment because I'm just about to die. Despite promising her that I will return. Despite not having proposed to her yet. I made the same mistake as you are about to make, Eggsy. If you truly love her, marry her. Don't let her go. Don't waste time, you might not have as much left as you originally thought. Just look at what nearly happened to us." My brother looks from Harry to me, waiting for my approval. "He's right. You have no idea how I felt when Hamish gave me the engagement ring, realizing that it was too late. We'll fix this, Eggsy, we'll save Tilde and then you will go and ask her to marry you." My brother smiles and nods. Then he points at Harry. "Do you know, dear sister, how lucky you are to be engaged to that chap over there? Because after seeing how much he loves and worships you, I wouldn't even think about letting you marry anyone else."

I just want to tell Eggsy to fuck off, when Merlin bursts into the room. "Enough soppy speeches, we're nearly there, my friends." "Great, Merlin, you just ruined the mood." Eggsy complains. "I agree with Eggsy. He was about to explain to my fiancée how lucky she is to have such a fantastic boyfriend as myself." I get up from my chair and move over to Hamish, who's standing next to the wardrobe with our suits and weapons. "Thank god you came. They are even more annoying when they're teaming up." Chuckling, Harry puts down his Martini, gets on his feet and wraps his arms around me from behind. "What kind of equipment do we have?"

Before the boys leave the plane, I give them a hug and tell them to return safely. "No cheating this time, Mr. Hart.", I kiss Harry goodbye. "Don't worry", his hands trail down my sides, "this time my wife to be is waiting for me. That's motivation enough to stay alive." I grin and kiss him again. "Love you." "Love you too, my starlight."

Hamish gives me a peck on the cheek. "If you need any help with the tech, just ask. We'll be back in a minute, honey." "You better are. And you should really quit calling me honey, Hamish. I think Harry is going to rip your throat one day."

In retrospect, I wish I didn't say that. I wish I had kissed him instead and told him one more time how important he was to me. One last time.