Chapter 64: Famous Last Words

ALEC

Flashing lights lit up the room from the outside, red and blue. Alec was struggling to comprehend exactly what had just gone down and how it seemed an entire convoy of officer cars had shown up out of the blue, but the questions fell to the back of his mind when he set eyes on Maize.

Azeal had his hands locked tightly behind his back as she walked the assassin towards Alec. His own eyes traced up and down her form, looking for the injuries he knew she would never mention she had, but other than a slightly roughed up appearance and being covered in dust from the floor, she looked alright—wearing the smirk of a hunter who had caught their mark.

She looked...like Maize.

Alec's eyes met hers, and even from the short distance they stood apart, the mischievous glint in her eyes was present as ever despite the flash of coloured lights outside that threatened to blind them through the windows.

That's when he realized she was actually speaking to Azeal as she brought him closer, and he quickly tuned in.

"Now, my partner, Detective West over here is going to bring you to a place where you'll stay locked up for a long time," she was saying as she flashed him a quick look.

Alec couldn't help his smirk. She finally called him her partner.

He took out the previous handcuffs as Maize handed Azeal off to him. He turned the man around and didn't hesitate to slap each of the cuffs over his wrists right away.

"Prison's full of psychos like yourself. You'll feel right at home," he said as he walked them towards the exit, Maize in tow.

Timely, the doors were thrust open and two familiar officers stood in the doorway, surrounded by a small team. As soon as their eyes fell onto the three of them, Johnson and Monroe immediately ordered for Azeal to be taken from Alec's hands and placed properly under arrest.

Azeal jerked away from the hands of the officers, throwing a pale murderous glare at each of the uniforms he could do nothing to stop coming forth, before whirling to look back over at Alec and Maize in turn.

"I'll be back," he said to them, his eyes going from Alec to linger on Maize with a glaring look. Her arms were crossed but she said nothing.

Alec rolled his eyes and waved a hand in the air disinterestedly as he more or less dumped the guy in the hands of the uniformed police. "Yeah, yeah, famous last words of every master criminal, ever. And if you don't believe me—feel free to ask whichever cellmate you end up with at the county, you guys can trade campfire stories."

Azeal visibly flashed his teeth in anger. "If you think you've won, you're sorely mistaken," he murmured lowly.

Alec felt a knot work in his jaw, but Maize only smiling. "Oh, the old gang? Yeah...don't count on them coming around any time soon." Was all she said.

Azeal furrowed his brows but was forced away by the two officers before he could say another word. Alec's eyes followed as the complying officers came forth and took the man by the arms. Azeal was read his rights as he was led outside to the party of at least a dozen parked cars Alec could count through the now propped open doors. Maize looked at him then.

"Famous last words? Really?" She asked with a quirk of her lip.

"What?" He returned the look, "It's true."

"Oh, I know it's true," she said as she looked to Azeal's retreated from being taken away.

If someone had asked him to explain what he thought Maize's plan had been when they first got her—since she had neglected to tell him—he wouldn't have been able to answer. Now, he found himself rather dumbfounded that he hadn't seen something like this coming; a trump card in her deck. That was why she had been so adamant he followed her supposed instructions at the beginning of all this—she just wanted to scam a guy.