Chapter 27: What's in Canada?

MAIZE

THE NEXT MORNING

All five of them together returned to the Serpent's Den, avoiding the string of police tape that circled the entrance. The night before, the local authorities had responded on account to multiple frantic calls of a casino shooting. And this morning, had put up caution tape to keep civilians back as they investigated the scene. Though multiple eye witness accounts were able to testify exactly what happened.

The group had also caught word on the local radio of gunfire reports taking place throughout the streets between the eastern side of the city that same night.

The authorities had been late responding to the scene due to a block that had cut them off from the main road, and they had now begun to conduct an investigation for what transpired. As the owner, Cassandra had been sought after for a testimony to the event, but she had one of her employees at the ready to take on the authority's questions as she stuck with Maize and the rest of the group. As far as they could tell, the police had a rather vague read on the whole story. In their minds this had been a local gang robbery, they did not yet suspect a second party—namely, Maize and the others—had been involved in any way. But even so, to be safe, they would be gone before that happened.

Cassandra had many entryways into the private part of her casino, a few back doors that only she and a few employees knew about, so they were able to get in unspotted by the lurking police. Once inside, they decided to go to their shared room—as it not only had all their stuff but was an entirely vacant floor which rooms that could only be accessed by Cassandra's special bracelet once locked. No one would bother them, let alone think to look up there.

Maize knew without a doubt that they would be on the move again. They couldn't stay here, not when the place was under investigation. And besides, Zmeya knew they were here too.

Alec was the one leading the discussion as they went through the current facts of their situation.

"So we've got a bounty on our head—isn't that fun? Clearly, they're keeping close tabs on us. If they were able to catch up to us within just a few days, then I think we need to up our game."

"Meaning what exactly?" Kishan raised an eyebrow.

"We get ourselves somewhere they can't follow as easily," Maize stated. "Only question is where?"

"I don't suppose space is an option?" Kishan cut in pointedly.

Maize tilted her head to the side in thought and then shrugged. "Not sure. C, acquire a rocketship anytime in the past few years?"

"No."

"Then that's a no," she responded to Kishan flatly.

"It was always a no! I was being sarcastic! Jesus!"

"Then say so. We need actual options here," Alec muttered.

"You all are very indecisive..." Agent Hill observed quietly.

"This is the first time we've actually tried to discuss our next relocation—other times those two just took me somewhere and didn't tell each other where until we were practically on the doorstep," Kishan said.

"That seems foolish."

"Which is probably why we're actually talking about it now..."

"So what are the options? Because I know for a fact that even though the gang is rather new, they've got powerful money behind them from some source—or sources for all we know. The harder you all make it for them to find you, the harder they'll try and the more powerful resources they will bring in so that they do not fail again..."