it's complicated

It's not that I was trying to hide the fact that I needed to get a job because I didn't want to accept Ross' money... it just kind of looked like I was hiding it from them. I mean, I was kinda hoping I didn't have to tell my mom about that because I knew she would say...

"You were the one who was there with her last night?" My mother accused, sitting her upper body against the counter now, leaning over and looking into Ross' soul.

He turned to me and turned back quickly, trying to decide on what to say. "Yes, Ms.Campos," he said, clearing his throat. 

Oh boy, that wasn't the right way to go. 

"No, no, no, no," my mom repeated, shaking her curly head. "I'm not Mrs.Campos, the woman who is currently married to my ex husband is. Marina, I don't understand. You talk so highly about your friends over the phone but how much do they really know about you?"

I turned to Ross, trying so hard to beg him to leave through my facial expressions. I don't think he got that hint. 

Ross stood up and placed a hand on his chest, "I'm so sorry, I did not mean to offend you if I did." 

She shook her head and raised her hand towards him. "Sit back down, boy. Now tell me, you offered Marina money to help her since it was your fault. Right?" 

"Right," he nodded his head quickly and sat back down. 

"Mom- it was partially my fault too. I knew I shouldn't have followed the man into my school, knowing the consequences. It was just a rough moment, and I needed to help him, regardless if he pushed me into a wall the first time I met him," I rambled, not knowing exactly what I said and how it was going to be perceived. 

My mom put her tiny hands up in front of her and said, "Ay dios mio, you pushed her into a wall?!" 

Ross and I both stood back up again, panicking. "No, it was an accident!" We both said, startling each other. 

"Mam, I am so sorry for that. All of this is completely my fault, which is why I offered Marina the job to be our publicist," he revealed. 

I furrowed my eyebrows and crossed my arms against my chest. "Wait, what? You gave me the job because you felt bad for my situation?" 

He tried to place his hand on my arm and I brushed him off lightly. "No- I mean, yes. But when you put it that way it does sound bad. Trust me, Mari. I have so much faith and trust in you, and Rocky and I wouldn't have given you the job if we didn't think you were qualified for it." 

"But, still. Now that I think about it, I should've just questioned it a little more. I mean, you guys didn't ask me if I had social media experience, or saw my resume for any credibility. I could've just been lying to you about my degree. You just met me," I emphasized, feeling quite a bit of stupidity myself, but at least I had more context now. 

My mom was now right behind me, mimicking my facial expressions and my stance. I knew she was just trying to give me more power and encouragement, but I'm sure it did seem silly from a different point of view. 

"You're right, I just seized on the perfect opportunity. I was just trying to help, because I felt like it was my responsibility. I genuinely feel that what happened that night was my fault, and that is why I offered you money, even when you didn't ask for my help. I apologize if it seems like it's coming across the wrong way," he explained, trying to comfort me again with a hand. This time I let him proceed. 

"Mhmm" My mom hummed, shaking her head at him. 

I took a deep breath and rolled my eyes at the both of them, and myself. "I hear you and I understanding you, I'm just upset that this is possibly the best work experience I've ever had, and yet it was given to me because you felt sorry..."

"But-"

"And that is partially my fault too, I know. I'm not mad at you, this is just some new information that I need time to fit into the whole picture of this again. I'll call you tonight, okay?" I suggested, gesturing over to the door with my head.

"You're making him leave... without the money?" My mom trailed. I swung a "really?" look at her and she backed off, taking a step back. 

Ross took a step back and sighed, "Alright." 

He picked up his jacket and walked towards the door. My mom and I sulked back into our chairs at the counter and looked at our half-eaten food in front of us. We listened to him shut the door and sat in silent for a couple of minutes. 

I took a deep breath and announced, "You could've backed off a little, ma. You don't know the entire situation." 

She looked at me almost as if I cursed her name in 100 different languages. "Que? Back off? Marina he pushed you into a wall,  and fell for a stupid trick from a homeless man on the street, causing you to lose your wallet." 

"I helped him! Because I'm a good person and he apologized for accidentally pushing me into a wall!" 

She sighed, "honey, you know how you felt in that situation. You are a young woman in New York City and you felt your safety threatened twice in two nights, and he was involved in both." 

She was right. 

"I know, you're right. But it's different now. He didn't intentionally put me in those situations," I begged, trying to make her step out of her motherly shoes for just a sec. 

She took a bite out of a Krispy Kreme donut and shook her head. "You've known him for about a month now, Mari. How much do you really know about him and his brother?" 

Well, I knew a lot about Ross and Rocky... both in different approaches but I still think I had a lot to say about them. 

"Trust me, ma. I know a lot," I said, lifting my eyebrows trying to emphasize. 

She opened her mouth slightly and placed her hand over it. "Don't tell me, you like one of them... Ay dios, don't tell me, he's the one you like." 

I threw my hands in the air and groaned, feeling almost like I was my teenaged self again struggling to have my mom listen to me. I walked over to my bed and laid back on my pillows. She followed me and did the same. 

"Honey, it's okay to like someone you work with... but not your boss. This can only go two ways." 

I picked at my fingers, definitely sinking in defeat. "It's just a crush, ma. I'm not even sure he feels the same way." 

"What about the other one?" She shifted her body towards mine. 

"Welllll...."

She gasped loudly and placed another hand over her mouth. "Oh, no. Don't tell me, Mari. You had sex with his brother?" 

I slightly nodded my head and closed my eyes, definitely trying not to look at her reaction. I felt a small hit at the side of my head and I opened my eyes again, pushing her away. 

"Why would you do something like that!" 

"Ma! I'm a grown woman. It's okay, we have that type of relationship," I answered. 

She threw her head against the pillow behind her and muttered, "Oh god..." 

"Now how are you supposed to explain this to Ross, when he's the one you like?" 

Well. She had a point. 

"I was hoping me and him would be a later thing, if he actually did have feelings for me. I mean, they've shared stories in front of me before. Talking about sleeping with their brother's exes and having sex in the same room, probably with the same women..." 

Her catholic ears couldn't bare the sound of this. "Excuse me?! God, the way these kids live their lives now..." 

I rolled my eyes and looked at her, "Yeah, right. How many stories do your brothers have exactly like that? A lot." 

She shook her head and turned her attention back over to me. "That's true..." 

"Yeah, I know it is! It's a complicated situation, but I'm just going with the flow." 

My mom placed her arm around mine and pulled me in closer. "It is. But, you know what you have to do to make it less complicated, Marina."

She was right, I did know. But did I want to do it? No.