Day Eleven Part II

CHAPTER 63

(DANIEL’S POV)

“Get over it already, OA na Daniel.”

“What did I do?”

Bumutong-hininga ito. Isinubo muna nito ang asa tinidor nito bago siya dinuro nuon at nagsalita.

“Stop staring. Alam ko na sabi na maganda ako. You don’t have to be so blant about it.”

“You’re so down to earth, aren’t you?”

Nagkibit lang ito ng balikat bago nagpatuloy ng pagkain. He also turned to his food but nevertheless observing her. He doesn’t know what it is but something about her bothered him. Yes, she jokes, insults, makes fun of him and laugh with him, but it doesn’t feel the same way. He doesn’t know how could that be, maybe he’s just imagining things and became paranoid, pero ganun ang nararamdaman niya.

“San ka nagpunta nung umalis ka sa kotse?” Pasimpleng tanong niya.

“Well…here and there.”

“Nice answer. It explains a lot.”

“I know right?” Ngumiti lang ito sa kanya.

“Where did you go?”

“Hmmm….saan nga ba? Ah, alam ko na, nakipagkita ako sa boyfriend ko.”

“Boyfriend, my ass.”

“Please, not your ass, I’m happy to inform you I have higher standards than that.” She rolled her eyes and turned to Grudge. Binigyan nito iyon ng ilang piraso ng karneng kinakain nito. She smiled at the dog with such affection and longing that even him can see how she learned to love the dog as well as he loves it. She patted Grudge lovingly.

And that gesture feels strange.

Yeah, I’m paranoid, alright.

“Hugasan mo ang mga plato.” Utos niya nang matapos siyang kumain. He waited for the usual rumblings and make-faces that she usually do whenever she thinks that he’s not looking at her, but nothing came.

“Okiedoks.” Sagot nito at muling binalingan ang aso. Patuloy pa rin nito iyong pinapakain. She just ignored him.

“You’re different.” Hindi niya napigilang sabi.

Saglit lang itong natigilan at tumingin sa kanya, bago muling bumalik sa ginagawa. “Of course I’m different. Naligo na ako kanina. Kahapon, hindi pa ko naliligo.”

“You’re not really helping me to get sense of what you’re saying.”