Chapter Nine

I carefully opened the window, my hands shaking in anticipation and relief. I was glad to see that Jade was alright, but what was he so concerned about?

"I'll fly you down. Get on." Jade said, his eyes piercing through the darkness of the night.

I had too many questions to keep track of, however I decided against saying anything. I could ask him once we were safely down.

I crouched under the window and carefully hopped onto Jades' back. In the cover of the night, we safely made our way down to a bundle of trees below.

I quickly got off and faced him. "Well? Want to explain yourself?"

Jades' eyes were serious. Something was wrong.

"Ever since a few days ago, I've been meeting new dragons and asking around to understand everything more. However, yesterday I realized how dangerous the tournament is. You mustn't participate."

I clenched my fist. After Jade had been distant and rude, he finally comes back just to say to not do the one thing I've been practicing and using my time for?

"And what makes you thing i'll listen to you?" I spat.

If my nasty comment affected him, he didn't show it.

"High rank officers will be watching. Everyone will. I think its best to not do anything to bring attention to yourself. This whole thing is meant to see who will prove to be effective in the future. With these powers of yours, everyone will try to use you for their advantage if you show them what your made of." Jade said reasonably.

"I get why your concerned, but I want to win as many matches as I can so I can battle the higher grades, specifically Dale. How about i'll try not to use magic and just skills?" I asked, not understanding why I needed his approval.

"I'm trying to help you out here! Something is off about this tournament.. I can feel it. If you want to go ahead with your plan, sure, why not."

"Aw, is the grumpy dragon trying to look out for me?" I said playfully.

Jade bared his teeth. "You've been a nuisance ever since these tournaments started coming up. I don't want to lose the person i'm forced to be bonded to after all."

That hit me harder than I was expecting. I could imagine a small string that connected us together weakening. How long has Jade felt this way?

"I'm sorry..? Is that what you wanted me to say? I've tried and tried to deepen our bond but the only thing you do is push me away. Why is that?" I said, my emotions wafting around me.

Jade grew quiet for a moment. "The sword and book belonged to Irene, who may have ended the war years ago. Since this school has the book and the sword, that must mean they know of the history. What will high class officers think when a young girl has the sword and book of an infamous hero as well as a dragon who belongs to none of the nature affinities? Listen Amira, i've been seeing memories of Irene's dragon ever since you opened the book. I'm scared of myself, and what I may do in the future."

This was way too much information thrown at me all at once. "Woah, wait your getting memories too? I get that the memories are a bit nerve wracking, but what's there to be afraid of?" I paused. "Actually, let's save this conversation for another time. Both of us are extremely emotional right now and it's late. I'll respect your wishes of not drawing attention to myself in tomorrow's tournaments."

Jade looked like he quietly let out a sigh, his shoulders becoming less tense. "I'm surprised your being the voice of reason for once." He said, relieved.