Chapter Nineteen: Absolute Love

A/N: I just want to thank my readers for all their comments and for voting, it has meant a lot to me. And now, I am happy, but also sad, to say that this is the final chapter. You guys did it! You got all the way here! I hope you enjoy this chapter!

****

He didn't dare move, in fear if he did the heart monitor would stop beeping again. He wanted to get something to eat from the cafeteria, but as soon as he took those first few steps the machine emitted an eerie single note beep continuously. He panicked and started screaming for help, alerting every doctor who passed by the hall to his room. After that, he stayed glued to his seat, next to the bed that held his genius. Everybody tried to tell him he needed sleep, that he needed to eat and drink, but he refused all of their requests. They soon started to bring him food and water, but he didn't touch it right away. He let the necessities sit there, his blue eyes unable to look at anything other than the sleeping form on the brunette.

He held his hand, thumb brushing over the back of it, silently hoping and praying that he was alright, that he was going to wake up any minute now. The doctors didn't have hope, but he did. They told him that there is a chance that Tony might not make it due to the severity of internal damage he suffered from the scepter, and he was scared that he might end up like Coulson did.

For days, and weeks, he sat there and rested his head on the silky soft white bed sheets, never once leaving Tony's side. When Natasha brought over his sketchbook and art supplies, he spent his time drawing images from his memory. Each image brought him closer and closer to tears as he drew and stared at his finished work. He just wanted him to wake up so he could see those beautiful brown eyes he loved so much, he wanted to physically see that Tony was ok. He couldn't handle listening to this insistent as well as persistent beating. He swears he was losing it, listening to the annoying beep beep beep of that fucking heart monitor.

He swears he's not going insane. It's not due to the lack of nutrition and water, no matter what anybody says, and it's not due to the lack of sleep for several days. Ok he can't keep lying to himself, it was due to the lack of sleep because he was a lot more irritable than usual.

His shoulders slumped and he could feel how sore his eyes were. He rubbed his eyes with the back of his hands, trying to dissipate the sleep from within them. There was this weird squish sound once he opened his eyes, and he frowned in disgust. He looked back at Tony and sighed heavily, slumping in his seat.

He couldn't do this anymore, he was losing it. He needed Tony to get better, he can't handle the pain of not having him here. He was the only one, despite them having a rough start in the beginning, as well as that one night they argued, who made Steve feel like he was so much more than just a superhero persona. Tony made him feel like an actual person, and he wanted to tell the genius how much he truly meant to him.

"Please wake up... I can't do this." He whispered. He crumbled up the sheets in his hands, squeezing them until his knuckles turned white. The first wave of tears dripped onto the sheets, a sob escaping past his lips shortly after. He whipped them away as fast as they came, but soon enough more replaced the first wave. He released the bed sheets and placed his head in his hands, letting his sobs wrack his body as the noise coming from his mouth was muffled behind his hands. He didn't even acknowledge when the door to the room opened and a hand was placed on his shoulder, causing him to jump and flinch in response. He turned around and noticed Natasha, a deep scowl etched into her face as she looked at him.

She saw how disheveled he looked; from his messy unkempt hair, to the dark bags under his eyes, followed by his red and puffy eyes and pale skin. He looked worse for wear, and it was absolutely bad.

"You need to step out of this room for a bit." He looked at her with disbelief in his eyes, not really believing what she had just said to him. He shook his head and looked back at Tony, biting his lip.