6

Olivia and Emily grew up in the house across the street from where Bill's car came to a stop. The old red brick and white wood trim looked just as it did 30 years earlier, lovingly maintained. The dark grey house to his immediate right was where he lived as an only child until the age of nineteen, but it was the red and white house across the street that felt like home.

He walked up the path from the street to the front door, rang the bell, and waited on the wide porch. After a moment Emily opened the door and welcomed him in.

"Why did you ring the bell?" she asked as he handed her the grocery bag that contained the pie and ice-cream.

"Mom, Bill is here," Emily called out before she turned back towards Bill, "She's been bugging me all day. Are you sure he's coming? You invited him, right? I hope you didn't forget to invite him."

Rachel greeted Bill at the door as he slipped off his shoes and hung his jacket on a hook. Olivia and Emily only shared a slight physical resemblance to their mother but had the same warmth and life. The friendly, welcoming tone in her voice and gentle strength in her hug reminded Bill of his wife.

"Bill, I'm so glad you came. How have you been? More importantly, why haven't you come to visit me lately?" Rachel said with feigned disappointment in the tone of her voice.

"I, well, I don't really have a good excuse. I'm sorry, I know I should come by more often," he replied as he watched Rachel peer into the bag.

"Well, that's okay. I see you brought pumpkin pie and ice-cream, so I'll forgive you."

Bill looked at Emily and smiled as she shook her head and walked towards the kitchen. Rachel took Bill's hand and guided him to the living room where family and friends had gathered.

"Look everyone, Bill made it," Rachel said to the other party goers.

Bill looked around the room at the familiar faces. It had been two years, nine months, and seven days since he had seen most of them. He was quickly drawn into the party by friendly handshakes, warm hugs, and pleasant conversation. Aunts and uncles, most blood relatives of Olivia, others holding honorary title, took turns to catch up with him. The thirty-foot walk took about 20 minutes as he mingled his way towards the kitchen.

"You ran the gauntlet. How are you feeling?" Emily asked as she prepared a platter of finger foods.

Bill paused for a moment and realized Emily knew exactly what he felt. He still carried the weight of misplaced guilt, a burden he alone had placed on himself, and had avoided the family gatherings since the funeral. The short time he had been back amongst them reminded him of the inviting and supportive atmosphere provided by the house and the people that regularly gathered within its walls.

"I'm fine," he said with a smile. "I didn't see Roger."

"He says he's coming; he just had to go into work for a couple hours first. Right now, I think I would prefer if he didn't come at all," Emily replied.

"What happened now?"

"His parents showed up again, last night, just as we were heading out for dinner. I had beer and stuff for this party in our fridge. 'Had', being the key word there," Emily replied as she placed the hot snacks on a plate.

"His dad helped himself to the beer, I'm guessing."

"Well, that would imply he got his ass off the couch. No, his wife kept a cold beer in his hand all evening. Both of them went on and on, telling Roger he needs to train me better. And, since I didn't have dinner ready for them, she ordered Pizza, from Zolla's. It was so disgusting, and of course I had to pay for it."