Chapter 9

I've never been so fearful yet so attracted to someone in my whole life. The whole " Simliar but more deadly" thing got me but he hasn't really given me a reason to run away screaming. Should I be, though? I mean, in reality I'm still only as invincible as a human. Well not that I'm not a human.

Being a Phoenix is kind of a weird mix between mythical being and human. Human form but wings and abilities that humans cannot sustain. Now, Raeylnn? Well I'm not sure what he is. He said demon to some and angel to others but what does that mean? 

I paused my train of thought as Raeylnn started slowing down. Ok- Uh. Where the hell are we? I took a good look around, hoping for a sign or something to tell me where we are. I really shouldn't have zoned out.

" Come on, let's go for a walk." He smiled, parking the car and removing his seat belt. 

Out here? In the dark. Alone. Uh. I guess but why? Testing my luck, I stepped out once I confirmed he did. Walking together down the sidewalk, I gazed at the large quantity of trees. Looks like a forest but really, it's just a wooded area. A few acres and that's it.

Keeping an eye on Raeylnn, I made sure there's no funny business happening. He just grinned at me though. " What? Afraid I'll leave ya?" He teased, bumping my shoulder.

" I don't fear abandonment anymore."

" Then what do you fear?"

I shifted my eyes to my boots for a minute, watching each step I took. " You."

As I glanced up and met his eyes again, he seemed to not care. Actually, maybe a little curious. " Me? Why's that? Because I won't tell you what I am?"

" I think I know what you are. I'm just deciding on weather I can trust you or not."

He chuckled a little. " Oh so letting me catch you and drive you out here is just an everyday don't need any trust kinda thing."

Ok, that had me laughing. I will admit I didn't think that one through all the way. I mean yeah I guess I put enough trust in him to catch me and drive me around but still. I'm cautious. I try to think ahead and kinda play detective. Like, he admitted he's more deadlier than a Phoenix but also caught me. So I try to balance the two.

The new found silence was kinda nice actually. Not that I don't like hearing him talk. It's just i'd rather not continue on with why I'm not so trusting. Or get on the topic of Rowan which would lead to me spilling the beans on wanting revenge. If Raelynn knew was I've been planning, he'd hate me. It's nothing to do with him in anyway but I just know he'd hate me for what I want to do.

But there's something that's been motivating me to keep plotting. I can feel something different inside me, that little spark of flame that gives me my power and use of wings. There's something about being around Raeylnn that makes me feel powerful. His energy I guess. It makes the flame in my soul feel brighter and stronger.

After a walking a blocks in the silence, he finally spoke up. " If you knew half the things I've done, you wouldn't trust me enough to even talk to me." 

Pausing outside the ice cream place, I met his eyes. " Why?"

" I've done a lot of bad things, Phoenix. But that doesn't mean I just go around hurting random people. Ok?"

I nodded, okey. I opened the front door and walked in. Good thing this location stays open late. I ordered the moose tracks and Raeylnn ordered the mint chocolate chip. Mm. Since the store would be closing soon, we just took the cones to go. 

" Hey, Raelynn. Is it true that it's not safe in town for people like us?" I asked.

" Depends who you ask I guess. You can call me Rae by the way."