A Past Priority

I could have spent an easy two months in that hospital. The time has gone by so slowly that I could have mistaken the months for years. I hate hospitals; they're cold, dark and people have died in there, you can almost feel their presence. Zaria has been in a coma all this time. It's said that she fell down the stairs and in the rush, someone kicked her head and she got knocked out. She's the only friend I have here so she does mean quite a lot to me. Sometimes I even go to sleep with the sound of her monitor beeping away in my head and no, I'm not just talking about the times I fell asleep here at her bedside.. That happened a lot actually. It feels like I'm the only one that cares about her; her family's falling to peices. She stays with her Grandma who is very weird. She tells the funniest stories about Zaria and her family. Zaria's mum left her dad and ran off with another man. She lived with her crazy dad who was a very unforgiving and narrowminded man. The arguments just kept on building and her dad would make Zaria feel guilty over things that weren't even her fault. In fact, as her gran put it, "that crazy man would have blamed her for the bloody weather." 

I held Zaria's hand as her heart rate beeped away. I whispered to her, "I'll be back tomorrow" and I headed out. Once I was out of her room I walked quickly to the exit. I hated hospitals probably because they didn't save my mum. Maybe it was just a grudge I held but, as I could hear someone's moniter near me turn to a high pitched beep, I decided I'll hold onto my grudge a little longer. 

As soon as I walked into my street I see my dad out painting the house light blue with our orange neighbour. I should also add our orange neighbour is male and called George. 

"Hey Sara! Like it?" My dad shouted at me. 

"Yeah I guess" was my highly ineresting reply. 

"Hiya Saraa! How's our wee Zaria?" The orange questions as he came down the ladder.  

Our? 

"She's fine I think, doctor said she'll be out soon." A smile crossed my face as I walked in the kitchen, closely followed by Dad.  

"Sara?" 

Iturned round to face my dad. 

"The school wants you in the maurra hen." 

"That's okay I'll go but promise me you'll go 'n see Zaria while I'm away? Or could I go after school? I needa see her!" 

"It's no like ye'v no seen her in pure ages! Ye'r there everyday!" 

"Please daddy?" I gave him the puppy eyes and batted my lashes. A trick I had learned from my sister back home. 

"Fine okay but ye better be hame by seven latest!" 

I said okay and made some dinner. My dads cooking is terrible so he leaves me in charge. After dinnner I ran upstairs and packed my bag ready for school. I was excited for tomorrow but I had no idea why. It just felt like I'll be turning a new page tomorrow. I set my alarm and hit the sheets.  

Beep, beep, beep.