sgetober day twenty six: the blue forest

"I don't why you like me," Hester mumbled that night, after Aric, after the fight, in the woods. She's sitting on the hood of her car, the navy leaves letting silver light through them. It's a beautiful setting, but in less than fortunate circumstances. "Seriously. I think somethings wrong with me up there." She points up to her head, elbow nearly hitting Agatha's forehead. She's sitting on top of the hood of her car, understandably upset.

Agatha just huffed, and put the Band-Aids back in her rucksack. "Everyone has something wrong with them. You're the most normal angry teenager I know." Hester's quiet after she says that, and she turns back to her, if only to guarantee that Hester hasn't stolen away again.

"My anger is something different Agatha. Maybe I should be talking to someone." Hester mutters, pulling at her fingers, a nervous tick Agatha's discovered.

"Maybe you should be, but that doesn't mean anything to me. You're the same person to me you've always been."

"You don't like me." Hester said, sounding uncharacteristically sullen. "You like the cool, fun Hester. Not me. Not this. "

"That is very untrue." Agatha consoles, coming up to her. "I like all the parts of you Hester, even the parts you don't like. I like you, and the brilliant way your brain works."

Hester smiles at her, broken and with a bloodied cheek and smeared eyeliner, but Agathas, all hers, and so open. "I like that you always know what to say."

When they kiss the world sharpens into focus. Agatha feels like she's been turned inside out.

They don't stop after that. Agatha has never wanted to.