Chapter 9

Sal was awakened by the sound of insistent knocking on his apartment's door. He kept his eyes closed and waited for it to stop, hoping that whoever was disturbing him would just give up and leave. Larry usually didn't just show up at his house without contacting him first, so it couldn't have been him.

He cursed whatever divinity could've been watching over him as he slowly sat up and blinked, glancing at the alarm clock on his bedside table that served as the only light in the room. Almost two in the morning.

He quickly wiped his glass eye with a clean tissue and slipped it in his empty eye socket, then strapped his prosthetic on and walked out of his bedroom.

His father usually came home late on Fridays and often forgot his keys. He didn't think much about it, not bothering to look through the peephole first. It would have taken too much effort anyways, he couldn't reach it unless he stood on a chair.

His heart skipped a beat when he opened the door and found Travis standing there, his gaze planted on the floor. He was shaking terribly, holding onto his stomach like a wounded creature.

Sal's eyes went wide, "Travis? What are you doing here?" He asked, quickly reaching out and frowning as the other flinched away.

"Can I come in?" The blond asked weakly, earning a nod from Sal.

"Sure, of course.. I'm just... what happened?" He asked again and moved aside, watching as Travis walked into the apartment. "Travis?"

The other said nothing and just kept staring down at his feet. That gave Sal enough time to study his injuries.

A bruise was forming around Travis's left eye, his cheekbone was swollen and his lips were covered in blood, which only worried Sal more. But he could see that the blood followed a red streak coming from his upper lip, so the bleeding wasn't internal, at least. Sal didn't even want to think about what was hidden under his clothes.

Overall, he looked miserable.

He took a step closer to the taller boy, not daring to touch him. "Tell me what's going on, or else I can't help you."

Travis slowly turned around and faced him. Sal had never seen him in such a vulnerable state, the sight made his chest ache so much it physically hurt.

"He-he got mad, like really mad." Travis whimpered, taking a step closer to Sal and leaning into his open arms. "He told me he doesn't want to see me, b-but I have nowhere to go and-and-" he stuttered out, trying to swallow the imaginary knot in his throat as he held onto Sal.

"Calm down.. You're fine." Sal whispered and placed his hands on Travis's shoulders. He breathed in and out at a steady rhythm, trying to get Travis to imitate him. "Just focus on breathing for now, all right?"

Travis nodded and looked away as he complied. Clearly struggling to stand, Sal decided to guide him to the couch. As soon as they sat down, the tears came back and Travis broke down in Sal's arms, wetting his oversized Sanity Falls t-shirt.