Chapter 5- Departure

From the moment I woke up I could tell this was going to be a long day. My family barely talked that morning, the twins knew that that was going to be the last time we saw each other for a long time. I didn’t know how my father was coping with this, I could usually read people very well, but my father always had this indifferent mask on. I guess I got that from him.

At about Ten, Mr. Smith showed up. This was the point of no return, for the past weeks I denied the reality that this was actually happening that when he showed up it hit me like a ton of bricks. I used the mask, and pretended like nothing was wrong, like I was actually excited.

We got in the car and the driver took us to the town square. There were about 200 people crowded in the little room around the fountain. It was surreal they were all there to say good bye and wish me luck for something I didn’t even want. I got out of the car and was flanked with so many people. It was like I was a dog that everyone wanted to pet. I was rushed up onto a stage where I shook the mayor’s hand and he said

“ Sage we congratulate you on the opportunity that you have been given and wish you the best of luck.”

The whole square applauded and Mr. Smith rushed me off the stage saying that we were going to be late. I guess he really ment that were were going to make just an appearance. As I was getting off the stage I saw Liam. His back was to me and I thought this was all I was going to see before I left but then he turned around. I saw his lips locked with Emily’s. I froze, my heart stopped, everything I believed for the last year was a lie. Had he ever loved me? Was I just some girl? Was I nothing to him? Emily broke away and left his side. I wanted to cry, even though he wasn’t technically dating me , I felt played, and used.

I told myself to no look back, to just keep walking but I heard my name being called and I turned around to see Liam running towards me. He opened his mouth to say something but I just shook my head, I was done with his games! I got in the car, wishing that I could just wake up and start over!