Chapter 7: Up to you!

Saturday, September 19, 2020

Soarin's POV

"Alright boys, we're 1-1. We need to win here!" Our coach was screaming at us as we prepared to come out onto the field for our week 3 matchup against our division rival, Cloudsdale Academy, "Our Visiting record is usually really bad, so today I expect all of you to change that."

My friends and I play both Offense and Defense because of how many Wonderbolts were Seniors last year. He's right though. Our home record for the last 3 years has been 24-0 but our visiting record was 2-22.

"Today we change our fate!" my coach continued.

Then Rapidfire, my best friend and quarterback went to the middle of the huddle and began to give us a pre-game speech, "Alright boys! Statistics say we are going to lose again, but fate says we'll win! I want to see all of you do your jobs the way they're suppose to be done! If we all do our jobs, there's no dought we'll win! Alright, boys! Have Fun on 3! 1-2-3."

"HAVE FUN!" we all said.

As we came out of the Cloudsdale tunnel, all I heard were, 'boos' and taunts coming from the crowd.

Rapidfire went up to the center of the field for the coin flip.

"Visiting team gets to call the toss," the referee explained.

"Heads," Rapidfire said.

"Visiting team has called heads," he flipped the coin, "It is tails."

"We want the ball!" the Cloudsdale quarterback said.

"Cloudsdale has selected to receive the kick."

Then our kicker, my friend Wave Chill, went out and kicked it to the endzone for a touchback.

"Let's go D!" my friend and fellow safety Lightning Streak screamed.

"Time to get serious!" I said back as we did our signature handshake. We have our pinkie and pointer finger out and the rest of our fingers in and we overlap them with the top of our hands facing up and shake it quickly a few times.

I lined up in my spot in Zone coverage 4 plays in. They had run the ball for 2 yards, passed for 5 and then ran for 12 yards. It was 1st and 10 on their 42-yard line. The CA receiver ran into my zone. I watched him and the quarterback's eyes and bolted toward the ball as he released it. I caught it.

"It's intercepted by Skies!" the announcer yelled, "his first of the year!"

I was able to run back about 15 yards, back to the Line of Scrimmage before I was tackled.

"YAAAAA," I screamed and did our signature handshake with my teammates.

RainbowDash's POV

I was watching from the stands, rooting for Soarin, my boyfriend. All my friends came to the game. None of them care for football. Even if their school was playing against mine, they'd root for mine. Weirdos. My Wonderbolt friends are cheerleaders, but I quit that so I could watch it easier and didn't have to wear a skirt. I couldn't wait until the game ends. Not because I love the ending to football games, but because Soarin and I are going on our first date afterward. Oh, I'm so excited!

There he was, #19. The boy I fell in love with. He plays the same positions I play in Flag. Wide Receiver and Free Safety.

Rapidfire, our Quarterback went up to the center of the field for the coin flip.

"Visiting team gets to call the toss." the referee explained over his mike.

"Heads," Rapidfire said.