Chapter Sixteen

I couldn't stand the yelling.

Hershel was getting worse and half of the group that wasn't focused on Hershel was focused on our new 'friends'.

"Hey, Andy." Carl piped up, placing a hand on my shoulder. "I need your help."

I turn to look at him. "Yeah?"

"Hershel needs supplies and I was wondering if you would come with me to the infirmary. Watch each other's backs." Carl shrugs nonchalantly.

I nod. "Okay. Let's just tell your mom-"

"No!" Carl cuts me off. "She can't know. I'll tell her that we are organizing the food."

I trusted Carl but at this moment, my trust wavered.

What if we were overrun?

What if we died?

No one would notice we were gone.

Carl returns only a moment later. "Get your knife out." He tells me.

I pull the flip knife from my pants and follow Carl out of the room.

We follow the signs to the infirmary which is still packed with supplies.

"C'mon. Help me get stuff." Carl huffs, pulling a duffel back off of a shelf before shoving it full of items.

I begin to collect the items, pulling them from the shelves and stuffing them into the duffel.

"I have everything over here," Carl called out.

"Almost!" I call back, moving further into the room to collect more of the supplies.

The door next to the room burst open and I jump but I don't lose my balance.

I remember what they did with the walker before and I kicked the walker's leg which snapped easy and dirty blood smeared on my jeans.

I slide the knife out of my pocket and I flip it open, shoving it into the head.

"Andy?!" Carl's voice called out. "I've been calling for you. Are you okay?"

I give him a tight-lipped smile and I hand him the supplies "Let's go."

Carl nods, sensing my discomfort as he slings the bag over his shoulder and pats my shoulder. "Okay. Let's go back."

"We need more supplies," Lori spoke, panicked as Hershel bled out.

"You mean supplies like this?" Carl announced, proud as he plops the bag onto the floor.

"Where did you get this?" Maggie's eyes were wide.

"We went to the infirmary." Carl smiles at me, fist-bumping my hand.

"By yourselves? You could have been killed?!" Lori was frantic.