Fifty Seven

Alamort
(adj.) Half dead of exhaustion.

Kieran's POV

Seeing the vampires in my pack territory was uncomfortable. Seeing them talk to my mate and address her after grabbing her by the throat, now that was making me livid. The only reason why I hadn't reached across the table to strangle the bastard was because of her.

Her hand in mine, on my lap was the only thing holding me back. I couldn't even focus at all. Aside from restraining the urge to kill, I was also quite mentally exhausted from the day's events. From talking to witches for the first time, to an almost battle with the vampires, to even more talking with witches and vampires, I was ready to drop dead in my bed and not wake up for another week.

I don't know how Artemis was handling it so well; looking as immaculate as ever and leading the discussion.

Watching her in her element was quite interesting. I sometimes wondered if it was her status as a spirit wolf that made her such an authoritative figure, or if she had always been like that.

My mind flashed back to that time she had set the prisoners free and lead them to escape, bravely sacrificing her life for their freedom.

No, she had always been a leader.

I smiled at the thought, squeezing her hand gently. She glanced at me from the side of her eye, her lips lifting at the corner as she squeezed my hand back, still listening to the incessant ramblings of the vampire.

For a split second, I imagined what she would have been like as child. Unfortunately, she didn't have much of a childhood, which was heartbreaking to hear and it annoyed me that I couldn't do anything about it.

The image of a young Artemis running around, giggling sparked something in my chest. Suddenly, I was imagining several mini Artemis's and mini me's running around, their laughter filling the air.

Was I ready to become a father?

I was brought out of my thoughts by the vampire clapping his hands. I scowled at him, but he didn't seem to notice.

"I'll have what we discussed typed out to sign by tonight," Artemis said, standing up. Everyone else stood up and she shook hands with the bloodsucker.

"This a historical feat Dear Artemis," I scowled as he held her hand for too long. "This simply calls for a celebration,"

"Is that such a wise decision during these uncertain times?" She asked, pulling her hand away.

"Hm you're right. The grand celebrations will have to wait but the Vampire Court will want to meet you. Again, this is quite a historical achievement and we must present the signed treaty to them all," He continued. The head witch Seraphine looked thoughtful but seemed to agree.

"Where is the court?" My mate asked. It was clear she didn't want to go anywhere and leave our people alone and I agreed, though I understood she couldn't say no either.

"Romania," My mate sighed, turning to look at me and asking what I thought. I would miss her and I would spend every second worrying about her but I knew she had to go.

"What do you think Baby? Can we leave the pack with Apollo?" My disappointment quickly morphed into happiness as I realised she didn't want to leave me. She wanted me to go with her.

"Of course we can. We are more prepared than ever," I assured her. She gave me a lopsided smile.

"When will we be expected there?"

"In a week from now we must all go to the King's court and present him the official version. I suggest you leave three days earlier to get settled in a hotel,"

"And we will all be safe in vampire territory?" Seraphine asked. Much like me, she was still sceptical of the otherwise charming vampire. Despite our peace talks, I hated how he placed his hands on my mate and Seraphine seemed to agree with me.

"Of course. Under the King's pardon, you shall not be harmed and anyone who attempts to will be executed," Artemis raised her brow but we were all comforted by the fact.

"Well then. I guess that's everything?" Artemis looked around the room for any protests but found none.

"Yes, I shall send you the invitation letter in two days time. I will arrange the transportation and accommodation for you and your mate," The vampire turned to me. "Think of it as an apology for our misunderstandings earlier," I pursed my lips, still not having forgiven him.

"That's settled then. Will you be staying with us?" Artemis asked. I hoped not. I had tolerated the leeches for long enough.

"No My Dear, we will be leaving back to our clan,"

"I'll see you out," We walked in silence towards the entrance of the pack house, the vampires deciding to run back home instead of drive.

"It was lovely meeting you. I will see you soon," he held my mates hand and gave the back of it a kiss, making me dislike him even further. His overly sweet smell was all over her already.

"Until then Viktor," She smiled politely and watched as they ran off. Once they were far enough, Artemis sighed, her shoulders sagging and the exhaustion evident on her face.

"I think it's high time we all retire for the night," she mused loudly. The witches snorted in agreement, and I wrapped my arm around my mate, pressing her into my body. I steered us inside.

"Well, goodnight from us. We'll see you tomorrow," I said, wishing the witches a goodnight. They bid their good nights and we separated.

We headed to our bedroom in silence, Artemis too tired to say anything. She was nearly dragging her feet and all but collapsed on the bed. Her eyes were closed and her face slack, almost already asleep.

I smiled down at her, leaning down to take off her shoes. I carefully removed her jewellery before lifting her shoulders to take off her blazer.

"Thanks baby," she mumbled sleepily as I removed her dress pants too. The bodysuit looked comfortable enough and she appeared to be sleeping already so I left it on her. I shifted her so she was under the blankets, rather than over it.

I changed into some comfortable sweats and decided to forgo the top. I quickly got into the bed, wrapping my arms around Artemis and pulling her into my arms. She hummed and mumbled something incoherent before falling a sleep.

For a while, I just watched her sleep, playing with her hair. I couldn't get the images of little pups running around the place out of my head. I spent sometime thinking of what our future children would look before falling asleep and dreaming of being called a dad.