The police.

• Dedicated to Charlie <3

The police arrive about an hour after I called 911; in the mean time I had been going through Briella’s things and no clothes had appeared to have been taken, she had her room as neat as always with her desk the only clutter in the room.

“Had she took anything extra with her to school today?” the police man questioned.

“No, I just looked through her room.”

We were sitting in the parlor when the phone rang.

“Get that. Put it on speaker.”

I pick up the phone and put it on speaker.

“Hello, Tanya Koan”

“I have changed my mind” a raspy male voice on the other end said.

“I now demand 2 million dollars for your daughter’s safety!”

The line, once again, went dead.

I just lost it, I started balling, I tried to be brave but it was clear she had really been taken.

The police man, Mr. Slate, wrote down everything the man said.

“You will hear from me shortly.” Mr. Slate nodded curtly and walked out.

I decided to call her father. Taylor Leep and I had divorced long ago; he was in the military and moved quite frequently. Briella was born in Russia thanks to his job. I have always felt bad that Briella is not a US citizen, she was preparing for the test. Taylor was a good father but I couldn’t handle all the moving around. Not being able to hold a job took a great toll on me and Briella, she always had to make new friends, not that that was ever a problem for her, she was quite social, but she never had the same friends for long. I could only bear that life style for seven years and when Briella was 10 we divorced. I settled down here, in Chicago, raising Briella on my own. Taylor stops by once or twice a year to see her and makes an effort, but his job is pretty restricting.

“Taylor, Briella has been…. Abducted.” I had to force the last word out.

“My baby!! Abducted?!?!?!?!?!?” He screamed into the phone.

“Yes Taylor.”

“Well what are you doing about it?!”

“I have informed the police and they are sending out a missing persons report.”

“I’m coming out there! Expect me tomorrow evening!”

And for the third time that day, the phone went dead.