Why is he sad?

June 22 1978 7 am
"RING,RING" "Ugh it's way too early" Curt says with a groan, as his loud alarm clock wakes him. He then rises up out of his Bed, shuts off his alarm clock, and goes over to his landline to call his best friend Roland Orzabal. Curt dials Roland's Number, and after two rings Roland picks up the phone "Hello?" Roland says sounding like he just woke up as well. As Curt hears his best friends voice he starts blushing and starts to think about being with Roland not realizing what was going on.

"Hello?" Roland repeats himself breaking Curt out of his trance" Oh hi Roland! how are you doing?"Curt says nervously while blushing "oh I'm good I should be getting ready for school" while Roland said that Curt was lost in rolands voice he loved hearing it so much he doesn't even remember why he called. "Curt you ok? Your being pretty silent" Roland says with a concerned tone

"Yeah I'm fine Roland!" Curt accidentally shouts "well we should both get ready for school now" Roland suggests. "yeah we don't want to be late to to school" curt laughs while looking at the floor. "Well I'll see you later Curt" "ok see you lat- but then curt hears that Roland hung up the phone. Curt goes back to his bed, and sits on it and starts to think about what just happened "I fucked up" Curt says putting his hands on his face "why does he make feel so fuzzy inside he is only my best friend."

"Right?"

-----------------------
"What is up with curt?" Roland thinks to himself as he walks outside and gets on his bike

"Maybe he's sad that it's the last day of high school I should buy him something to make him feel better."
Roland decides to make a quick stop at the video store, to rent a movie for curt, eventually he makes it to video store, and he parks his bike and goes in to store. As Roland walks into the video store the worker looks up at Roland for a second from his comic book and then goes back to reading.

"Hmm curt has always liked horror movies I should rent him a horror movie to watch"

Roland then spots a Carrie vhs and grabs it. "oh yes this is perfect this was the first movie me and him saw together"

Roland then walks over to the desk, to cashout the vhs,
Roland puts the vhs on the desk and the worker cashed it out,

And then out of nowhere the workers says "Hey aren't you Roland Orzabal? "Um yeah?" "Oh I saw your band at the drive in last week you guys are good" "haha thanks" Roland says with a grin.

"how's Curt doing, aren't you guys best friends? "Oh he's good I'm actually renting this movie for him heh"
"Dude you're blushing, wait do you like curt?"
After Roland heard this the world stopped around him, why would he be blushing thinking about his best friend?

"Of course not! Curt and I are friends!"
"Mmhm, have a nice day d" the worker says to Roland in a sarcastic tone.

Roland then grabs the vhs and leaves he looks at his watch and it says 7:15,
"Holy shit! I have to get to school" Roland puts the vhs in his backpack and then he zooms off to school.

-----------------------
Curt's school bus arrives at the high school, and everyone on his bus we're talking about graduating and college, however Curt was getting sad. "will me and Roland stay best friends when high school ends? I hope we will"

Curt thinks while blushing not realizing he is. The bus stops and open its doors and as Curt walks out of the bus, he spots Roland arriving on his bike, Curt wanted to run up to him but he felt embarrassed after the call this morning, but all he could think about was talking to Roland. "Hi Roland!" Curt says running over to his best friend. "Oh hey Curt are you feeling ok? You were acting weird on the phone"

Curt looked at the ground, and was stuck in that trance he was in earlier after about ten seconds, Roland started to get concerned.

Roland then reached out and touched Curt's forehead making Curt flinch and blush.

"Curt do you think you're coming down with something?" Roland says in a concerned tone while taking his hand hand off Curt's forehead.

Curt, finally coming back to reality looks up and at Roland and says "yeah I'm fine just sad.."

"Why are you sad? I just want to let you know I'm always there for you" Roland says making direct eye contact with Curt. "I know you are Ro, I'm just feeling really down"

"Can you please tell me why" Roland says almost yelling

"I will at lunch we're gonna be late to first period"

Curt felt embarrassed, but he knew he had to tell Roland.
The two boys then walk into the school together, Curt had a lot of thoughts right now "do I like Roland?" "Or am I sad about high school ending?" Curt then had a realization.

It was both.

-----------------------
I hope you liked the first chapter! I'll try to have the second one done by the end of the week.