Chapter fourteen

A knock on the door was all it took to cut that little string of hope pulling me together.
That I would be happy and free was just a dream.
It's not happening anytime soon.

"Ma'am, good afternoon I hope you are having a good day" the stranger said while Julie nodded.
"You work for my husband, Collins is it?" She asked.
"Yes ma'am, I... I am sorry but your husband was shot while we were in Indonesia, we tried to......"
"What?" She cut in, her voice shaking
"Sorry for your loss" and with that he left.

  I stood beside the couch frozen on the spot with tears running down my cheeks and I didn't try to stop it while I watched Julie slide down on the floor and scream.
The staff ran to her and she told them what happened.

I felt bad for her, I really did. I wanted to scrunch down and hug her and tell her everything would be okay. No one deserves to lose their loved ones. Why is the universe this cruel?

  After hours of crying, I went to my room and sat on my bed. There's no freedom for me anymore. This is my life now. One full of pain, tears, screams and all bad things.

The day went by slowly, the twins came back and the crying began again.

  I always wondered why my mother's wake had not yet occurred but we would have to do it together with Jeremiah's tomorrow night.

I wore a knee length black dress which was very plain but that was the only one I had. We never thought of buying a black dress so I just had to use my old one unlike the twins who had black dresses with beautiful designs and shoes to go with. Well, I also used a beautiful white wedge sandal.

  At first I thought it would be in the house but Julie said she didn't want anyone to come in and take any of her expensive stuff so she preferred a hall.
How sweet.

  We went to the hall early and the two coffins were put at the front while we sat at the front row. The ceremony started at nine o'clock with a prayer from a pastor.
The ceremony went on with goodbye songs and a few speeches before it ended with a prayer. It ended at twelve o'clock and then, we went back home.

  We could not contact any of mummy's relatives and dad was no where to be found so I was the only one there for her while Jeremiah's father came along with his uncles.
Apparently, he was the only child and his mother died after his birth.
I was introduced to them and I was surprised they even knew he married another wife because the marriage was rushed.

The burial would be in two weeks but everything would be taken care of in one week.

Two weeks later.

  Today, we would bury two people, two very important people.
I woke up, took a shower and dressed in the same black dress I wore to the wake. Am I ready to read my tribute? I sighed and walked out of the room.

We headed to the church and then went to the graveyard where we would give our tributes then the final burial.
His father gave his, I almost cried but I couldn't cry before my own tribute. Julie was next then Katherine and Kate. It was my turn.
I stood in front of everyone holding my paper with shaking hands.

"Who could have thought that it was time to go? I know both of you will go to a better place because of how good you were.

Dear mother,
  Unfortunately, you could not watch me grow into the woman you wanted me to be. You did all you could to help me grow and yet you could not enjoy the fruit of your labour.
One day you were there and then you left without saying goodbye. I can not wish for what will not come true but you, my priceless treasure will never be forgotten.
I would have recalled all the memories we have together but I do not want to break down here. I want to be strong just like you, my mentor.
A perfect human with a heart of gold.
The heart breaks when it loses the most precious thing it has.
  I stand here with a broken heart to bid you farewell.
God bless you.I love you always.
Farewell Mama.

Dearest Jeremiah,
  I might not have known you for years but I do not regret every single moment we spent together. You were a father I always wished for.
I came to your house with little expectations from you but I was left dumbfounded after staying with you for just two days because you surpassed those expectations.
Heaven has received an angel today.
   The amount of people here today prove that you really are an angel. I may not have repaid you for good thing you have ever done for me but I know God has done that.
God bless you and guide you. I love you.
See you at the other side.
Goodbye soldier"
I read this, I really did.

  The paper was wet then I realized I had been crying profusely then it turned to sobs.
Jeremiah's uncles gave their own tributes and then they were lowered into the ground.
We went home and received guest after guest for more than two weeks.

"Okay, since the burial is over, all staff should resume work because there is a lot of work to do and Morenikeji, your chores would be doubled"Julie said and went to her room.

This woman is out to make my life a living hell.
I went to my room and continued my endless sobs.

Please vote, comment and share 🙏🙏. Love ya♥️.