Chapter fifteen

Thirteen years later

Richard's POV

"So, what's there to see? I've heard so much about Nigeria, I feel ecstatic. Show me around" I'm so excited.

"Sir, you came yesterday are you sure you have rested enough?" My driver asked. I don't even know how to pronounce his name but I think it's Rashidi.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good. Now take me round and I mean where the people really are. I don't just want to see the expensive places. I want to see everywhere. We can continue tomorrow and the day after tomorrow"

"Okay, sit put while I guide you round Lagos, Nigeria."
I put my seatbelt on ready for this tour.
I came here on my first business trip but it wouldn't hurt to get some free time besides my dad is the CEO of the company.
"And if it doesn't distract you, put some Nigerian music on" I add.

  During this tour, I've learnt the names of some artists here and I know I can't pronounce all the names.
So I've heard Davido, Peruzzi, Joeboy, Tems, Tiwa Savage and I'm pretty sure I can differentiate their voices.

"Sir, this is Ojuelegba, Surulere. Here's the Tejuosho shopping mall"
I looked up from my phone and saw the mall but then I saw something else.
A girl. She was struggling with a guy who wanted to take her purse. Why is no one stopping him?

"Stop the car"I said
"Now? We are in the middle of....."
"Stop the damn car!" He stopped it and I jumped out of the the car. I hear horns from cars on the road but I don't care.
I rushed over to where I saw the man and the girl.

My hand went to his his jaw and hit it hard before I could even think and he stumbled back.
"I'll call the police if you don't leave her alone"I shouted. He looked frightened, good. He ran away, I just hope he doesn't come back.
Oh wow, people are watching now when they could have watched since.
I laugh to myself.

"Are you okay? I hope he didn't hurt you" I tried to touch her shoulder but she pushed my hand away.
"Thank you but don't touch me if not I'll shout. You can go now" she replied.
"I'm just trying to know if you're okay besides shouting didn't help you the last time"
"I'm fine, thank you" she replied.
I was staring at her.
She looks sad.

"Go now!"
"What's your name?"I asked her.
"None of your business, go before I miss the bus abeg"
"The bus? It's not safe" I don't understand why can't she call a taxi or better still an Uber instead of a crowded bus.
"Oyinbo, be going abeg" she turned and joined the bus where a man was shouting "Yaba"

Rashidi calls me to tell me where the car was.
"Did you see that?" I asked him. I'm absolutely stunned and disappointed.
"Yes sir, I saw it and she be fine girl o but see attitude abeg"
"What?" I don't understand what these people speak but I have to learn it too.
"Nothing oh, let's continue"
"No, let's go home, I'm not in the mood"
Maybe tomorrow I'll be in a better mood.

I got to the house I stay on Victoria Island by five o'clock in the evening because of the traffic.
My dad prepared everything before I travelled so I don't have to be stranded.

I slept and woke up to my phone ringing. I check the time and see it's eight o'clock.
The person calling is Adamu, he's a friend from the company who happens to be a Nigerian.

"Hello, Richard how are you?"
"I'm fine, how are you?"
"Same, so how was your tour?"
I told him everything that happened. That girl was the center of my tour today. I want to stop thinking about her but I can't, I want to know her.
When I looked at her, she was not scared just sad.

"These things happen a lot, thank God for were there sha, don't worry about her attitude maybe she was just scared. You'll like Lagos even the hustle and bustle all day. These people don't sleep oh"

He tells me about his day. He gets off the phone at nine o'clock then I order food from a restaurant which is still open. I ordered jollof rice and chicken I want to taste this famous jollof rice. The food comes after twenty minutes and it's mind-blowing. I'm not exaggerating I love it.

That girl, she's so pretty.
"Ah, Richard stop it, you didn't come here to find pretty girls" I scold myself but I can't help it.
I keep thinking about her and those eyes.
I need to know her but where do I find her in this big city?

Please please please vote, comment and share 🙏🙏. Have a nice day or night 🌚