Chapter 6

I wake up feeling overwhelmed. A sort of morning-after feeling.
My throat is dry like a desert, I have a terrible headache, and thoughts flow from one thing to another, but cannot focus on one thing. I feel giddy.
I haven't had a drink in months, avoided College parties. Guess it was a mistake. They say alcohol helps to lose all sense of self. Maybe so, but it wouldn't solve my problem. It would neither save Adam's life nor throw fifteen thousand pounds at his feet.
Adam...
I have no time for self-chastising. It is necessary to act, and that promptly. At least I have to get up from the sofa and call a taxi. Damn, my phone is dead! And I have no recharging lead. What if Alice called and I missed her call? I need to get home as soon as possible. Guys are unlikely to find a recharging lead for my played-out Apple iPhone 4.
'Are you already up?' Alex's sleepy voice comes from the right. 'Mind some breakfast?'
'No, thanks, I go home. My phone is dead,' I show him the black screen.
'I'll call you a taxi, or Andrew will kill me,' he says with a charming smile.
If he wasn't gay and my best friend's boyfriend, I'd take him in hand. Just think of it: blue eyes, blond hair, a tiny ring in his pierced lobe and a well-muscled body. He is a heartthrob for girls! But he has a crush on my a bit crazy friend.
Great, at least Andrew is happy. And I am happy for him.
I take off my friend's t-shirt and put on yesterday's dress instead, high heels, grab my purse with the dead phone and money envelope, and leave the apartment. At least I was about to.
'Hey, Lo,' Alex calls me as I go downstairs. 'Take care.'
His voice sounds nurturing. A nice, charming guy suddenly turns into a caring older brother. He turns into Adam. But I mumble half-heartedly in response:
'Okay.'
The thing is that being careful and I don't go together.
When I get home, the first thing I do is put the phone on charging and wait for a while to turn it on. Meanwhile, I start making an omelette with bacon. For some reason, I thought that after yesterday's meal I would never feel hungry again. Nothing of the kind! Before turning on the phone, I gobble my breakfast.
There are no missed calls or incoming messages. Alice hasn't been online, and the subscriber is still 'temporarily unavailable.' I wonder where she's gone. She probably got away with William and didn't bother to tell me. Well, she doesn't have to. We are not best friends, we're just girls plunged into a difficulty. Anyway, I still have to decide
what to do with the money.