Kabanata 35

"The guitar you brought was for him." I swallowed hard. "He likes playing guitar like you do. Sometimes, he sings too but doesn't want to be record that's why I always hid my camera to record him."

Nanatiling nakatitig sa akin si Dylan. He looked very attentive and at the same time, confused. Hindi siya nagsalita at hinahayaan lang akong magkwento sa kaniya. Maybe he's still in shock. I'm in shock, too, and my voice is a bit shaking.

Tumikhim ako. "He doesn't ask too much about you but when I tell something, he'd ask over and over again. He knows that you perform and he just know that you have the same name. Iyon ang sinasabi ko sa kaniya."

"What does he call me?" mahinang tanong niya.

"Papa.."

I saw the hurt on his face for a while. Yumuko siya at tumitig sa sahig. Kinagat ko ang labi ko at nag-iwas ng tingin sa kaniya.

"He prefers books and his guitar than other toys. Wala siyang kaedad na nakakalaro, that's why you must be surprised if you hear him talk very matured. He's always with Kael that's why—"

"And who the fuck is that?" rinig ko ang iritasyon ng boses niya.

"My father found someone in California and it was Kael's mom. That's why he's my step-brother."

Umigting ang panga niya at hindi na nagsalita kaya nagpatuloy ako. "Coen doesn't really like socializing a lot. He doesn't like people. He sometimes uses his genius to turn people down so it might surprise you later.."

No, I bet he won't be surprised. Coen is just like him so much.

May kumatok sa pintuan na nagpatigil sa pananalita ko. Kumalabog ang puso ko dahil alam namin pareho kung sino iyon.

Dylan stood up straight and looked at me with so much nervousness on his eyes. Hinagod niya ang palad sa hita at hindi mapakali.

I smiled a bit. "I'll just talk to him for a while.."

He clenched his jaw and nodded.

Tumungo ako sa pintuan at binuksan iyon.

Bumulaga sa akin si Issa na nanlalaki ang mata at nasa likod ang anak kong nagtatago. Issa pointed the door with her eyes all wide and shocked.

I nodded.

I squatted and smiled at my son. He looked confused. Nag-init ang sulok ng mata ko habang pinagmamasdan ang inosente kong anak.

From the back of his door, is his father. His long waited father.

Hinaplos ko ang pisngi niya. "I have a big surprise for you, Coen.."

Ngumuso siya. "A piano, Mama?"

Nagkatinginan kami ni Issa. She looked nervous. Winagayway niya ang kamay niya at tumalikod sa amin. I chuckled and kissed my son's forehead.

Hinawakan ko ang magkabila niyang balikat. "I know you're smart enough, Coen. And you waited for this long."

Namilog ang mata niya.

I nodded. He knows what I'm talking about.

"From the back of this door is.. your Papa." tears pooled in my eyes. "You did a good job waiting, anak. Do you want to see Papa?"

He nodded with tears on his eyes already. Suminghot siya at bahagyang namula kaagad ang mukha. He stood straight like a real man meeting his captain. Tumayo ako at tinignan si Issa na naluluhang nanonood sa amin.

"Thanks, Issa." I smiled.

She covered her mouth with her palms. "Oh my god, why am I crying? Just go, Zhian. I'll just wait somewhere." she looked at Coen. "I'll see you after, Coen, okay?"