The Soldier (part 2)

When he woke it was still with that faint glimmer of hope. He'd had this dream before. It was always different, sometimes in little ways and sometimes in big ways. Every once in a while he arrived at the bunker in time but that tended to leave him with a feeling of bitterness upon waking, and he didn't much care for that version of the dream.

He lost track how many years it had been since that night. The world had changed drastically since then. It was not the same place it used to be. There was no more war, no sides or factions looking for power or control over the masses. It wasn't a utopia but it was a shit ton better than mankind has ever been, and improving with each day. Maybe a lot of that had to do with the fact that ninety-nine percent of the human population was gone and the rest struggling just to procreate. Maybe a lot more had to do with the Cloud, and the promise of everlasting life.

Either way, Trey was certain that Shai and Hannah would have been happy here. Or most importantly, they would have been safe.

"You have a message," a voice said from his wrist.

"Always," Trey responded and tapped the face of his watch.

A four inch squared projection of Councilman Talbot's face appeared in all its stern gruffness. The man was ancient, with wrinkles like spider webs adorning his long sallow face, white hair on his near pointed dome cropped close like Trey's.

At one time in his life Councilman Talbot had been a marine and certain habits die hard, even at the age of a hundred and forty-three years. But despite the fact that he was the oldest living human in Akropolis, he carried himself with the stalwart air of a man half a century younger.

When he spoke, his voice was steel and his eyes were alight with the fire of fervent belief in all that he did. It was this sort of obsession mixed with discipline that had inspired countless others in the corps.

But those days were long gone now. The Corps had been phased out just over a hundred years ago and what had replaced them was the Akropolis Security Force. Marines were no longer needed, as war had become obsolete.

General Talbot had been given the title of Councilmen after the Corp was disbanded and was the only, and obviously, last of the old regime appointed to help govern their sanctuary.

He had a knack for it and while he always put the citizens of Akropolis first, he still thought and acted like a soldier. It was probably why Trey and he got along so well. Both were remnants of a past that the world was attempting to forget. It made them outsiders in their own way but forged a bond between the two that was like the days of old.

"Major, I'd like a word with you in the council chambers," the recorded message from his watch projected.

Curt and without frills. Every action or word spoken was the same.

Trey swung his feet off the cot and stood. Though he was accorded certain luxuries per his standing he preferred the aesthetics. His quarters were a perfect ten by ten with an extended shower and toilet. His iron grey walls were adorned with nothing but a single physical photo, a snapshot of Shai and Hannah smiling at the camera.

He kissed the tips of his first two fingers and planted them on the photo.

"See you soon," he said then stood in front of the wall that faced the head of his bunk.

A single light touch from his forefinger on the penny sized circular indentation in the wall slid open the panels that revealed his closet. He was about to grab his suit but opted for his security uniform instead.

It was a dark blue hue, patterned after the marine dress blues, except it was constructed of a synthetic titanium polymer thread that spread the shock of impact throughout all fourteen million fibers weaved into its pattern.