7) The Jealous Ones

I WASN'T GOING TO UPDATE TODAY, BUT YOU GUYS GOT ME TO 1K ON WYIC LAST NIGHT, SO YOU DESERVE IT ;)

~Fang's POV~

         Once we're across the bridge, I let go of Vincent's arm and continue on ahead of Alec as if I never noticed his fear. Gotta admit, it was kinda cute. Why can't I just despise him already? We can see the back of Lokir's head and Sonyeh's long black hair a little ways off, but they will definitely get to the "wall" we can see from here first. It's merely a three foot fence made of brick. Are you kidding me? Scowling, I break into a run to catch up to my second in command.

"This is what we we've been paying for them to do?" Lokir mutters without even looking at me.

"I didn't know they'd be doing nothing," I grit. The workers, who are just lazing around in the sun, see us and get to their feet quickly, scattering to make it look like they were working. But we've already seen them, and the two people known for their tempers and strength are arriving rather quickly.

"Is this what we pay you for!?" Lokir thunders. I cross my arms tightly and glare at a skinny little man that cowers and keeps pretending to be busy. "To lay around all day when our whole village is in danger?! I should you all back to Snow and see what he has to say! You're just a bunch of children, all of you!"

"Are you done?" One man with a mustache grumbles. Lokir's eyes darken as he starts toward him. I roll my eyes and grab his arm, pulling him back. With one last frightening glare, he looks at me somewhat apologetically. I nod and then look at the lazy workers.

"This is done within the next week or you're working without pay."

"That ain't fair!"

"Do I seriously need to bring Lightning and Snow back out here?" I raise an eyebrow. "Get to work. Now."

"You don't do anything to help the village," a dirty looking woman pipes up. "Why should we listen to you?"

         Lokir doesn't bother to stop me as I charge over to her, towering over her small form.

"I don't help? Excuse me, but today I vaguely remember fighting for hours to keep you worthless people alive so that you didn't become Cei'th food. People gave their lives for you and that means nothing? I pay for your homes and feed you. I built your town up again and gave you the work you asked for. If that's nothing to you, I'm afraid there's no reason to keep you here."

"Then I'll leave."

"Go then," I lift my chin. "Where will you stay? What about gil? Won't you need food? I'm the only one willing to pay you, Smith, and so I'd keep my mouth shut before there's nothing left for you."

          The woman, known as Smith, turns and walks off, getting the point finally and going back to work. Lokir lays a hand on my shoulder and frowns at the workers.

"Let's get back, hm?"

"I feel bad for Alec," I sigh. "Please tell me there's a spare teleporter here."

"I'll get one," he pats my back gently and walks off. I can Vincent beside me and Sonyeh on my other.

"That was a waste of time," I grumble.