Revelations Part 2

The rhythmic pitter patter of the rain rang loud in Kakashi's ears in the silence of his office. Those words were the only thing on his mind in the last month. He hadn't approached Mizuki at all since that day, he couldn't bring himself to. Unfortunately, he had stumbled into her on several occasions. From what he's gathered, her amnesia was only temporary but it would be slow to return. She didn't recall anything from the last three years of her life so she was distressed when she woke up in an unrecognizable environment. The more she surrounded herself with familiar people and settings, the quicker her memory would return.

The first time he ran into her was a few days after he received the news of her situation. He was walking back to the office from the memorial stone. He was lost in his thoughts and didn't notice until a body ran into him. Reflexively, he reached out and steadied the person that he collided with.

He was about to apologize when a very familiar voice halted him.

"I'm so sorry!" They said bowing over and over again. "I didn't see you there, Hokage-sama."

Kakashi watched Mizuki apologize over and over again. Running into her had properly shocked him into silence. Hearing her refer to him as 'Hokage-sama' instead of Kakashi sent a pang through his heart. That unfamiliar greeting was a harsh reminder to him that all he was to her is a stranger.

Mizuki was ridden with anxiety. Why wasn't he saying anything!? She kept worrying that she had upset him which is something that she didn't want to do. She was hoping things would be a little smoother during her recovery phase. She had been terrified when Tsunade told her that she has amnesia and that she had moved to Konoha a little under a year ago.

People kept approaching her introducing themselves to her. It frustrated her to no ends because she couldn't put a name or memory to the face she saw. Every time someone re-introduced themselves to her, she would feel a dull throb in the back of her head trying to find the memory of that person. She had approached Tsunade to tell her about that and, thankfully, Tsunade had made sure to inform everyone that they couldn't force her to remember. In due time, things would come back to her slowly but surely.

"It's fine." He hastily said before disappearing, leaving the perplexed blonde standing awkwardly in the middle of the street.

He had several more similar run-ins with her after that and each time she would only ever refer to him as 'Hokage-sama.' His mind would always replay their time together, sharing nice meals, showing her new places, seeing her eyes light up with happiness. It saddened him to know that she didn't remember any of that. A part of him wished that she got her memories back soon, but another part of him dreaded her remembering the moments leading up to her departure from the village.

A sudden movement from the corner of his eyes caught his attention. The rain pelleting against his window distorted his vision but he could still see her.

'What on earth was she doing out in this weather?' He wondered to himself.

Mizuki rapidly blinked her eyes to shield them from the rain that dripped down her face. She laboriously dragged several planks of wood behind her while trying to balance a bag of tools on her hip. A sudden gust of wind blew her off balance and she dropped the bag, tools spilling everywhere.

"Darn it." She cursed under her breath. She set the planks of wood on the ground and dropped to her hands and knees to pick up her tools. She was reaching for a hammer when it was plucked from the ground and presented to her. She glanced up and was startled to see the Hokage crouched in front of her with the hammer in his outreached hand. Mizuki wordlessly picked up the rest with his help.

"What are you doing out in the rain?" She heard him ask, eyeing planks of wood behind her.

Mizuki followed his gaze and frowned. "Could you help me carry that and I'll explain on the way?" She asked, wanting to get out of the rain.