The News

I went home feeling pretty good. Meg talked to me at lunch, Mathew and I hung out at study hall, and I think I did great on my history test. Then, I got home. "How could you forget?" I was so furious with my mom. "How could I not forget," I complained. It was dad's visiting day, but it was also my doctor appointment. My mom had it marked on the calendar for weeks. It was only a painful reminder of what was at risk.

"Why can't you both come? I don't want just dad." She sighed and turned to the stove. "I have stuff to do, and I really don't want to be there. I'm sorry I just can't." I knew by can't she didn't mean she was to busy. It meant she couldn't bear it. "What time is he coming," was all I could say.

I sat up in my room for the next fifteen minutes trying to text Meg. Fifteen long dreadful minutes. "Jean! I'm here. Are you ready to go?" My dad's strong voice rang out. At least he can put on a brave face. Why can't mom? I tried my best to look brave, I wanted to show mom that if I'm brave she should be to. "Yeah, I'm ready," I croaked. I cleared my throat,"Excuse me. Yeah. Let's go." I gave mom I quick hug before I jumped into dad's truck.

"Nervous?"

"Why should I be," I said as I rested my head on the window. "Well if that's so I guess you can hold down an extra cheese, pepperoni, and bacon pizza from Gracie's?" I chuckled I little. Gracie's was our place ever since I was no higher than his knee. "Yeah, and blue cream soda," I added. "Of course, it wouldn't be Gracie's without it." I knew that he was scared inside, but gosh could he hide it.

"Here we are old Gracie's." We walked in, and sat at out usual booth. "Well well. Little Jean how are you?" I smiled at Gracie, and her beautiful brown eyes. "Okay I guess," I faked a reassuring smile. "Well, I'm gonna pretend that statement wasn't as fake as my sister's boobs and probably her ass at this point," remarked Gracie in a joking manner. "Okay Grace we aren't than close," laughed dad as she walked off already knowing we wanted the usual.

When we were back in the truck dad didn't talk much. We rode up to the hospital. We were right on time so the wait didn't last. I wish it did. "Miss Jean Unipit," called the doctor. Dad and I stood up and followed him to my temporary hospital room. "Dr.Terick will be right with you." My dad stepped out as I changed into my hospital gown and said little words, but I knew he wanted to. I was just happy he got the message.

"Alright if your ready Jean would you come with me. You can to," said the doctor. Dad started to stand up with me. "No. Just stay here I said." He just nodded. I didn't really absorb much I just felt numb the whole time I was in there. Until I got back to my room, and the doctor gave us the news. For the first time ever my dad's steady voice gave in as he hugged me and said, "it's okay."