Chapter 4

-- Morum's POV --

"Oh hello, Morum." Luna's soft and calming voice greeted me. I beamed at her. "Morning, Luna." The sun glimmered through the delicate trees, which swayed gently in the faint breeze. The desolate courtyard's atmosphere was almost sleepy with the very noticeable lack of students. It was a Sunday morning with a soothing ambience as I flopped down next to my best friend on the cool stone bench and pulled out my books. After a few hours of our synchronized scribbling and birds singing to each other sweetly passing the time, Luna set her books down and looked at me with a calm but concentrated gaze. "What's changed?" She asked with her usual hint of joy. "Hmm?" I replied not taking my eyes away from the Potions essay, forcing the gears in my brain to work. "You're different today. Not as tense as you usually are." She stated her gaze not fluctuating once, even as  small blue butterflies fluttered around her golden waves, which danced in the insubstantial breeze, like a halo . I glanced up at her for a moment, narrowing my eyes both from the confusion and a ray of sunlight flickered past my multi coloured irises. "Nothing's changed, Luna. I'm still me." I responded, my eyes flickering  back down to the still practically empty parchment. 

"It's him, isn't it?" With this, she had my full attention. The only he in my life was Draco. My palms started to sweat and the quill became loose in my once firm grip. I tore my eyes away from the bench, which was beginning to crumble at the edges with age, mustering all the courage I could only for it to disappear as soon as I met her stare. "Who's he?" I catechized. "Draco, of course." My heart jumped at the mention of his name though I wasn't quite sure why. "Yeah, what about him?" I queried. She tilted her head to the side with a smile, almost as if to say 'Poor thing, she's in denial.' I placed my books down in fake irritation. "Something's happened." Luna presumed. I considered telling her what had occured the day before but changed my mind at the sight of a fellow Ravenclaw passing by. I forced out a laugh. "Like what? We're barely even friends." I declared, hoping it distracted her from the bead of trepidatious sweat trickling down my forehead. She studied me for a moment longer before shrugging, rising and gathering her things. "Okay, if you say so. But, I was going to ask you to come with me to Hogsmeade today. I need to go dress shopping." 

"Wait, really? Who asked you?" I implored, leaping up to follow her. "You'll see..."  She sang. "But you will come, won't you?" I nodded. "Of course. You're going to look amazing." I responded, prior to walking straight into someone's chest. The painfully familiar scent of cologne, mint mixed with subtle hints of citrus and almost sour apple hit my nostrils. I silently cursed and peered upwards at the ridiculously blonde hair joined by a scowling Draco, clearly preparing to give me a belittling insult. He hesitated as he realised who he was talking to and proceeded to just stand and stare. This continued for what felt like hours before Luna put an end to the slightly awkward staring contest.

 "I have a feeling you two need to talk, so I'll leave you to it." As she skipped away my eyes darted back to Draco. He stared at me for a little longer before starting to walk away. "Hey! Wait-" I shouted, scuttling after him. He spun on his heal and gave me a pointed look, raising his eyebrow as if to say 'Go on.' "What's wrong?" I questioned. He sighed and turned his back to me again. "It's fine." He called. "You don't have to pretend to care. We're barely even friends remember." I winced as he used my own words against me and shook my head, grabbing hold of his wrist. "Draco, wait." He ignored me and wiggled his hand out of my grasp. "I don't need your pity, Birch." With this I'd had enough. I scurried in front of him and put both my hands on his chest, preventing him from going any further. "Listen. I'm not going to the ball with you because I pity you. I'm going because I want to. If you are stupid enough to believe that I really meant what I said then you honestly don't belong in Slytherin. Think about it." His face stayed stern but I could see his eyes slowly but surely softening with realisation. "Exactly. I didn't want the student that walked past to hear so that she could go and have a good old gossip. I didn't know if you wanted people to know or not, as seen as I'm a Ravenclaw." 

He gave me a dumbfounded look and grinned. "I don't care if you're a Ravenclaw. Let them hear. Because I'm taking you whether they like it or not." He announced in a matter-of-fact tone, loud enough for anyone in the courtyard to hear. My hair fell in front of my face as I tried to hide my now crimson cheeks. "Well on that note, I need to find Luna. We're going dress shopping." He smirked and waved goodbye as I strolled towards the Great Hall.