03 - Again

Tine's POV

I was jolted out of my nap by the wheels of the plane hitting the runway. I felt Phuak's head drooling on my shoulder.

I shrugged and Phuak's head rolled to the other side to rest on our co-passenger's shoulder who sat on the aisle seat.

The lady looked at Phuak with distaste and poked him awake. He opened his bleary eyes and wai'd an apology to the lady.

Ohm and Fong sniggered from across the aisle. Phuak showed them a middle finger that was also unfortunately caught by our co-passenger. She snorted in disgust.

"Kill me now" said Phuak, shrinking into his seat in embarrassment. I chuckled.

It felt good to be back home after five years.

A white limousine had been sent to pick us up from the airport. The Master knew how to make people feel special.

I felt the calming balm of familiarity as we sped through the well-traversed roads though the city had changed in five years. The old landmarks were peppered with new ones.

As we passed the entrance to the night market, my heart twinged with a vivid memory.

Stop it, Tine.

*

"Welcome home, son" said the Master, opening his arms wide. I wai'd and hugged him.

"Good job in Korea. I was confident when I sent you to Seoul that you would turn the business around" he said, patting my back.

I bowed. "Thank you, Master".

His eyes crinkled and he sighed. He'd given up trying to get me to call him Dad after the engagement. After all these years, it seemed forced and artificial to call him that. For me, calling him my Master was a sign of respect, gratitude, loyalty and affection.

I bowed low and wai'd as the Mistress rolled into the room in her wheelchair. The Master wai'd and kissed his mother's forehead.

"Welcome back, Tine" she said. I knelt before her and she put her hand on my head in a blessing.

"I hope you're keeping well, Mistress" I said, taking her papery, wrinkled hand in mine.

"I can still whoop you into shape, young man" she declared spiritedly. I did not doubt her. She was tough.

"When Pear returns at the end of the year, I'll personally plan your wedding. It will be one that will be talked about for years to come" she declared.

I smiled even as a knot formed in my stomach at the thought of marrying Pear. I loved her in a purely platonic, almost brotherly manner. I knew her feelings for me were similar.

We had no reason, no heart and no courage to say no to the Mistress for our engagement five years ago. We had chosen peace over love.

Now, we would reconcile to a life of sparkless companionship in the name of marriage.

I had decided to drown myself in my work and do my best by the Master and his family. At the very least, I'd make sure Pear was well looked after and the business would grow to support several generations to come.

I couldn't bring myself to love her, or anyone else. My stupid heart was still beating for the nameless man who'd ruined love for me.

*

"My first project as the Head of the Sustainable Development division will be based on this design", I said as I projected the building plan on the large screen that covered one wall of the boardroom.