𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕. 𝐕𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐁𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈𝐧𝐤

À̵͇͖̰̉͐͝ ̴̩̩̒͘͜͝b̵̩̰̞͕̓̀l̶̥͚̯̩̺͑̏̔͝o̵͈̣͇͆͗ô̴̳̫̩̚d̷̙͖̠͂͗ͅb̷̝̾ą̸̗̻̦͑͘ẗ̶̢̨̘͙̀̓h̷̡̃̐̆̀̊ ̵̨̡̢̺̞̈́̿͝í̶̥̖̬͈͛͛͝ș̵̤̯̬̅̎̌ ̷̡̡̘̱̝͆͆̋b̶̃̇̈͘͝ͅř̴̙̋è̴̡͖̮͉͘w̴̦̎̒͜i̴͔̫̟̬͛̅͌̒͝n̵͕͍̔͛̒͘͠g̶̝̞̓.̴̗̺̻̤͐̒͐͘
——

Min Yoongi

I groaned in frustration, tossing the papers in my hands and further accumulating the mess on the table. I raised my hands to my temples, a headache forming from the mix of sleep deprivation and long-term concentration.

But a loud snore quickly snapped me out of my delirious trance. I glanced over with a sigh to see Hoseok fast asleep, half of me tempted to join him in taking a quick nap, the other half determined to make progress in the investigation.

I gently pulled the sheets of paper out of Hoseok's loosened grip, hoping to scan over a fresh new page of information. But all I found was a file on the man from the night in the alleyway. It was useless. We knew his name, the fact that he had a gambling problem and was deep in debt, but no information on his contacts or possible loan sharks he borrowed from. Why did he do it? Was he threatened? Crazy? Just ready to give up? Now there was no way to know.

I flipped to the next paper: Hoseok's notes from when he contacted JYPE. But it was just another dead end. They claimed no producer had ever emailed Soomi and that they never even received her demo, but Hoseok had no luck tracing who could've intercepted the email or contacted Soomi.

Nothing adds up. What are we missing?

I was about to fall into another fit of frustration, but the front door opening interrupted my thoughts. I looked up, surprised to see Jungkook carrying Soomi through the door. By instinct, I shot up from my seat and rushed towards them.

"What the hell happened, Jungkook? Where were you guys?"

"Relax, relax. We were out clubbing."

"Clubbing?" I squinted my eyes, disapproval radiating from my entire body.

"Oh, don't give me that look. I was totally responsible. Soomi was completely fine when we left. She just fell asleep on the way back, and I didn't want to wake her up. If anything, how come you had no idea where she was? Kind of your job, isn't it?"

My expression instantly changed. I looked away, as I didn't want to admit he had a point.

"Well, don't just stand there. Get Soomi to her room. I needa go check what's taking Misa so long," he said before gently lowering her into my arms. I couldn't help feeling weird in this position, being so close to her for the first time in forever.

And yet, I couldn't deny how the warmth of her body against my chest brought a wave of comfort to my entire being.

"Oh, and Yoongi?" Jungkook said. "After that, we need to talk." He didn't say another word, and I continued up the stairs, puzzled by his request.

I gently laid her down onto the mattress, careful with my movements as I slowly pulled the covers over her. It was as if I were frozen here, my hand resting on top of the sheet as my gaze lingered on her sleeping face. She looks so...

...peaceful.

If only time would slow to a halt, worries washing away, so we could stay like this. If only all the dangers, all the complications, just the rest of the world, would disperse into dust for just a moment.

But then I was reminded of the last time I was in this exact position, sitting at her bedside, and I knew all of that was wishful thinking. Because everything wasn't okay. I made a promise that night to stay by her side, and I had already broken it countless times.