Chapter Ten

"Did you-," Evan stared at his black screen. He was still home alone, without Aubrey or Daisy. He had tried to call them but nothing was happening. He thought that perhaps they had gone to get some breakfast. He still forgot at times that they weren't there. "You're not here."

Evan turned on his laptop, searching for the files on Denise and Aaron. As he opened one file, his computer glitched, flashing a black screen.

"What-," he asked as a message was relayed again. No, no, no. I don't think you need to get files now. Evan watched as all his files were being permanently deleted right before his eyes. "NO!"

Almost had it... so sorry. Evan gritted his teeth, slamming the laptop shut. Aaron, it just had to be Aaron. Rushing back into his office, Evan pulled out his box containing paper files on Aaron and Denise. He was smart enough to do so, thank god.

"You wanna play, let's play," Evan gritted as he found Bryant's folder, exposing Aaron as the original thief of the Network. He tucked his folder into the messenger bag, strapping it around his shoulders. He needed to get to the Station, and fast.

Station
"Evan," Chris exclaimed as the beaten up Evan, stumbled into the room. Aaron and Denise gasped, standing up. "What- What happened?"

"They jumped me," Evan groaned. "Two guys jumped me and stole some files I had."

"What files," Chris asked but he had a feeling of what files they were. "They stole the files?"

"Yes," Evan gritted. "Strange, isn't it?"

Chris's jaw dropped slightly, taking Evan by the arm into the conference room. It just had to make some sort of sense. Why would two men steal Aaron's files? Why?

"Are you okay," Chris asked.

"Are you going to believe Ike now?"

"Evan."

"Dad, stop! Don't you see-," Evan stared at the phone in the corner. He rushed over, pulling the plug on it. He wasn't taking any chances with Aaron or Denise around. Hopping up to the camera, he disconnected it as well. "Dad, he planned this from the beginning. I just know he did."

"Why do you say that?"

"Why come to New York if the whole East and West Coast police network is failing? Because he has friends here," Evan breathed. "He knew that if he came here, you being the friend that you were, you'd stand up to him. He knew about the tension between Ike and yourself and he used that!"

"What are you talking about?"

"Something happened to Ike," Evan whispered. "I don't know what but something happened."

"Why?"

"Because he called me," Evan replied. "He said father."

"Huh?"

"When ever he talks about you, he always says Dad. He has never said father," Evan pointed out. "I knew someone was pretending to be him. I don't know where he is but that only means that Aaron did something to him."

"What," Chris felt his anger rising.

"We need to play his game," Evan grabbed his father's arm. "It's the only way to win."

"What game?"

"I don't know," Evan shook his head. "I don't know why he's doing this but we need to keep pretending we are on his side."

"What about Ike? If he lays a finger-," Chris muttered. Evan smiled, knowing that his father still seemed to care for Ike.
"Ike will get to us. I know he will."