chapter eight

CHAPTER EIGHT!

♖:♛ ━━━━━━━━━━ ♕:♜

♖:♛ ━━━━━━━━━━ ♕:♜

LOU WASN'T NERVOUS at all, she just didn't know what to wear.

She hadn't brought a lot of dresses for going out, she had planned the one she wore for her actual birthday celebration with care, and it didn't feel right to wear it again.

She also didn't know what to do with her hair, but that was a problem for later.

Was she overthinking this? Probably.

Chances were, Benny would show up with the exact same outfit he wore during the day, because of course he would.

Lou sat on her bed with a huff, body wrapped in a towel and hair up in a bun, and let herself fall back into the mattress.

This was stupid. It wasn't a date, she had absolutely no reason to treat it as such.

Her gaze fell on the box on the coffee table, the one that held the pretty dress Beth bought for her. For a moment Lou thought about wearing that, but not a moment later wrinkled her nose and shook the thought out of her head.

That was a date dress. Not a belated-birthday-celebration-with-a-pseudo-friend dress.

Lou, after a few more moments of contemplation, decided a simple black dress was enough. She'd brought it in case of something happening to the dress she'd wear to her birthday dinner, so it might as well be her choice for this.

She did a quick makeup look, just some eyeliner and mascara along with a lipstick that was almost a match for her lip color, and put her hair up in a low bun, not having the patience to style it.

By the time a knock sounded on her door, Lou only had to put in her heels, which she did quickly before answering the door.

Benny had changed clothes, but stayed in the same style of black pants and a leather trench coat, with the difference of a green shirt instead of a plain black tee like he'd worn during the day. The hat was absent, creating a rather considerate difference.

"Ready?" He'd looked her up and down, nor at all subtly, and Lou felt proud herself in not becoming affected by it.

She nodded and grabbed her purse, closing the door and following Benny.

"So, where are we going?"

"That's a surprise."

Lou pouted, she didn't like surprises. Well, actually, she did, but she always got ridiculously curious if she knew about them beforehand. Christmas with her was always a gift hunt the weeks leading up to it, and her family has become increasingly creative over the years with their hiding spots.

"Where's the hat?"

Benny raised an eyebrow. "It's not attached to my head, you know."

She shrugged. "Might as well be, I've seen you more with it than without."