Chapter 2 - Planning

Luke steps back into the Ewok chief's hut to see the celebrations still going on, as they were when he'd left. "Leia?" he calls quietly as he approaches her.

"Yes?" she answers, looking up.

"I need to talk to you," Luke continues nervously.

"Of course," she replies, rising to her feet and carefully moving around the Ewoks surrounding her.

They step out into the dark night, the sounds of the forest filtering in on them. The Death Star shines brightly in the darkened sky, as if it itself was a moon.

"What is it?" she inquires anxiously, pulling him from his distracted musings.

He needs to tell her what he's planning to do, but first she needs to know who she is, that they're twins. He doesn't know for sure if he's going to come back from this, and he'd rather die with the peace of knowing that Leia is aware of her true heritage. Just how to start? "Leia, do you remember your parents? Your real ones?"

"I remember my mother a little bit," she murmurs quietly, "She died when I was very young."

"What do you remember?" he asks.

"Just... images, really," she replies thoughtfully. "Feelings."

"Tell me," Luke urges.

Leia sighs, giving him a sideways glance as she looks down. "She was very beautiful. Kind... but sad." Her gaze locks with his as she raises her head, her silky hair tumbling over her shoulders as the movement rustles it. "Why are you asking me all this?"

Now it's Luke's turn to avert his gaze. "I... have no memory of my mother. I never knew her."

She tilts her head, gaze searching him. "Luke, tell me. What's troubling you?"

He takes a sharp breath. "Vader is here. Now, on this moon."

Leia's eyes widen in alarm. "How do you know?"

"I have felt his presence. He can feel when I'm near, and I'm sure the Emperor has heard word of it. That's why I have to go. As long as I stay, I'm endangering the group and our mission here." He pauses for a moment, sighing quietly. There's no way he can tell her the entire reason he needs to go, namely to save Vader's life, but at least he can tell her most of the truth.

"I have to face them," he adds solemnly.

"But why?" Leia protests, confused, "When we blow up the Death Star, both of them will die anyway."

"I... I have to go, Leia," Luke insists, finally deciding to drop the bombshell. "Vader is my father. "

She gawks at him in shock for a speechless moment. "Your father?"

He nods. "There's more. It won't be easy for you to hear it, but you must. If I don't make it back, you're the only hope for the Alliance." He's not going to deny that what he's doing is extremely dangerous, and there is a high chance he — and Vader — won't get out alive, which is exactly why he has to go. At least with both of them there, maybe there's a chance that they'll survive.

Leia shakes her head, taking a step back. "Luke, don't talk that way. You have a power I - I don't understand and could never have."

"You're wrong, Leia. You have the power too. In time you'll learn to use it as I have. The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. And... my sister has it."

Leia stares at him for a long while.

"Yes, it's you Leia," he states.

She looks away for a moment before nodding slowly. "I know. Somehow.... I've always known."