Chapter 16 - Malice part 1

At this moment, the unconscious Jin Ling and Lan Mingyu suddenly sat up.

In front of the two, they clumsily stood up with closed eyes. Wei WuXian wanted to see what they were going to do, so he didn't do anything as Jin Ling and Lan Mngyu slowly walked around him, took one stride, and stepped back into the wall where they stood just a while ago. They placed their arms flat beside their body. Even the position was the same as before.

Wei WuXian pulled them out of the wall again, feeling that the situation was both hilarious and strange. As he was about to tell Lan WangJi that it was best not to stay here for long, he suddenly quivered out of fright, hearing a few barks and growls that came from afar. Ever since they went in, the black-haired spiritual dog and Kirara behaved themselves, wagging their tail as it sat before the entrance. They waited for them to bring back their masters in an anxious yet pathetic way, without barking or anymore. However, right now, their barks and growls were fiercer than ever.

Lan WangJi spoke, "Something is wrong outside of the castle."

As he reached out to help Jin Ling, Wei WuXian beat him to it and carried Jin Ling up on his back, "Let's go out and see!"

Seeing that Jin Ling was already settled, Lan WangJi carried Lan Mingyu princess style and carried Guqu on his back.

The two quickly went back the same way they came. Bending down to exit, they saw the spiritual dog with Kirara face them with their backs, growling with the bottom of their throats in a certain direction. Although Wei WuXian managed to come over, he really couldn't bear this type of sound, and involuntarily took a few steps backward. When the dog turned around and saw that he had Jin Ling on his back, it instantly dashed over, causing Wei WuXian to scream. Lan WangJi shifted in front of him with Lan Mingyu still in his arms just as he was about to throw Jin Ling down.

The spiritual dog immediately stopped its tail between its legs again. The reason why it didn't stick its tongue out was that it held something inside its mouth. Lan WangJi placed Lan Mingyu on Kirara's back before he went forth, bent down, took out a scrap of cloth from between its teeth, and handed it over to Wei WuXian. It seemed like it was part of a piece of clothing. Before this, there must have been someone either roaming or spying around the area, and they must have appeared suspicious, or else the dog's barks wouldn't have been teeming with hostility. Wei WuXian declared, "They haven't gone far yet. Let's go after them!"

Yet, Lan WangJi responded, "That is not necessary. I know who they are."

Wei WuXian, "I also know. It must have been the same group of people who spread rumors of the Xinglu Ridge, let out the walking corpses, set up the maze array, and built the stone castles. And those sabers. But, if we don't catch them now, it'd be a bother to find them later."

Lan WangJi, "I will go after them. What about you, A-Chang and Jin Ling?"

Wei WuXian, "I'll take them down the Xinglu Ridge and settle down somewhere in Qinghe, around where we met that charlatan. Let's meet up there."

The pace of the conversation was extremely fast. Lan WangJi only paused for a moment, and Wei WuXian added, "Go. Any later and the person would have run away. I'll be back!"

Hearing the 'I'll be back', Lan WangJi took one deep look at him and walked off without any more words. The spiritual dog wanted to throw itself over again. Wei WuXian immediately shouted, "W-w-w-wait! Take the dog away! Take it!!!"

Lan WangJi had to come back again. He looked down at the black-haired spiritual dog. Too scared to put up any resistance, it yapped as it trailed behind Lan WangJi, turning around to look at Jin Ling once in awhile. Wei WuXian wiped a few drops of sweat from his forehead. After he looked at the group of white castles once more, he picked up Jin Ling again and went down the Xinglu Ridge with Kirara following him.