honey pie ─ a. hotchner

ssa aaron hotchner x reader au.
[ set in 2020, although Hotch is almost 40 and he has no kid or ex-wife ]

your soulmate can hear the music you are listening to.

Aaron Hotchner was going over paperwork in his office, it had been a quiet day in the BAU. The team had just wrapped up a case, so they were home for the week, it looked like. He was flipping through his files when soft music filled his ears. He grinned as the music his soulmate was listening to filled his ears—comptine d'un autre été on the piano, the song from Amelie from Montmartre, one of her favorites. She seemed to always play soothing classical music when he was doing paperwork, as if she too was sitting down and mindlessly filling out endless pages of boring paperwork, as if anyone was ever going to read over their case files again.

He looked through his blinds at his team, noticing Morgan bobbing his head, but not having his earphones on. His soulmate must've been playing something he likes. Spencer was quietly reading, Hotch didn't know when his soulmate played music because Spencer hardly ever reacted. Emily and JJ were in JJ's office. The team had discovered they were soulmates when Emily was listening to caught up in you, by 38 special in the break room and JJ started screaming the lyrics from the bullpen.

Aaron was truly happy for them, they seemed perfect together. Well, maybe it's because they were. That's how the universe had made them—for each other. Aaron had always wondered whether he'd find his soulmate. Here he was, he had just turned forty, serious girlfriends had come and gone—his most recent ex-girlfriend being Haley Brooks—but he'd never heard the same music as them.

Maybe he was never meant to?

Aaron shook his head as his eyes landed on Y/N, whose hair was covering her face as she leaned over her desk and scrawled furiously on her paperwork, his face twisted into one of concentration and her tongue sticking out of the corner of her lips as she focused so hard on getting her work done.

Aaron chuckled lightly as he watched her pen flick out of her hands by accident and land across the bullpen, then she shrugged and picked up a new one from her drawer, then proceeded to go back to his own paperwork.

You, on the other hand, was wondering when the hell your soulmate was going to play music again. You'd determined early on that he was what one would call an old soul. He loved the Beatles, especially the white album, it seemed. He wasn't against listening to Elvis, and he most definitely listened to Bob Dylan once in a while, although it took you a while to figure out who that was.

You were working on your paperwork, your airpods sitting snugly in your ears as you listened to that beautiful piano song from Amelie that you could never pronounce—mainly because it was French, but also because every time you tried to pronounce 'été', you pronounced it as 'eat' and burst out laughing. Every single time.

You loved listening to this song, it was literal sweet honey to your ears and calmed you down as you did your absolutely boring paperwork.

Honestly, you felt kind of sorry for your soulmate. He had to put up with so many different songs for almost the whole day. Your music changed depending on the mood you were in, so it could go from Whitney Houston to The Weeknd in a heartbeat. Which had happened on more than one occasion.

"Hey sweetness," Morgan grinned at you as he approached your desk. "We're all going for drinks later, and were wondering whether you wanted to join?"