Thirty Seven

Jackson slings one of his arms around my neck as I close my locker. He smiles at me, squeezing just a bit as we walk together, "Am I coming to your house today? I want to see your dress."

"Sure," I say. I told him about my mom's dress that dad had in his own memory box of her and he's been annoying me to see it since.

"Great. I think I'm going on my barong," he says as we sit together in Geometry. "I want to look hot on my coronation." I chuckle and he continues, "I can't believe it's finally happening. We're having prom, then it's spring break and we'll only have classes for like, a month and a half."

"We'll finally graduate," I agree with him. "Can you imagine never seeing Amelie again?"

He smiles at me, "I don't think it'd matter that much to you now, Spencer," I give him a puzzled look, "you can kick her ass now."

I chuckle as we sit in Geometry class. I wouldn't call it kicking her ass, but for some reason she hadn't messed with me for some time now. I don't know if it's because she believes Mr. Jones is protecting me or if she got some sense knocked into her head, but I'm glad.

"I mean it, Spencer. You were... I don't know what you were, but now you're different. You are fighting for stuff now. You're standing up for yourself," he lowers his voice, "you got That Glow," he wiggles his eyebrows and I kick his feet under the table as he laughs. "I'm proud of you. You look happy."

"I am."

And it feels weird to feel whole. To fill complete, content. Happy. My dad's fine, I have amazing friends and an unofficial girlfriend that I absolutely adore.

"How's your dad?" He asks as the bell rings.

"He's coming home this week," I smile. Everything is finally falling back into place. "He'll go back to work next week, I think."

I can't believe it's finally happening. After so many months, he's coming home. I can't believe I managed to make ends meet, to keep our things and to survive.

Maybe I'm stronger than I look.

"That's cool. I bet mom will call him as soon as he steps home," he says and I agree with him. I could even bet Andrea will call him as soon as his feet leaves the hospital, ready to bring him some food.

I copy equations and start to solve them as the period progresses and I think about how things have changed. How I've changed.

We split after Geometry and I go to History. I look into Diana's corridor in time to see Abby and Laura entering together, then Amelie hanging behind to talk to Diana.

Jesus, why is she hanging behind? Not even I lagged behind like that.

I sit behind my desk and take my notebook to write some notes and sketch things. Now that I got mom's camera, I wonder if Diana would let me take pictures of her.

I want to take pictures of her smile, of the way her eyes shine when she thinks of a dirty joke or how her hair looks like gold in the sun. I want to show her how beautiful she is, even though I'm sure she already knows it.

I'm daydreaming a bit too much, and I try to actually listen to the lecture as I sketch, wishing I could just fast forward to Diana's class.

We're playing fucking hockey and it's honestly my nightmare. I don't think I've ever been this bad at anything before. Not even soccer or basketball. I do not have the coordination to run and hold the stick, or to golf the ball to the goal.

Fuck sports.

I remember when Diana taught us that baseball class, how cute and extremely sexy she was. I have no idea what exactly made me so attracted to her. Was it her muscles? Her ability to hit a ball with enough force that it could go through my skull? The fact she was left-handed? The possibilities were endless.