Forty Four

If they aren't the same then it means that's not Amelie the one that's been doing this.

And if it's not her, then who? Why?

I look back into Rory's gray eyes, seeing the same confusion mirrored into them, and then she furrows her brow.

"What the fuck? Who is it, then?" I shake my head, not having an answer for her. "Shit."

Her phone rings and she steps away to answer it as I just hold both pieces of paper in my hands, staring down at them in shock. My heart is slamming in my chest, my ears ringing. How is it not her?

"I gotta go," Rory says, her gray eyes dark. "I'll see you later." And then she jogs down the street, her blond ponytail swinging in the air as she disappears.

I fold the pieces of paper together, putting them back into my pocket as I turn on my heels to walk back into Kim's house. Jackson must be too deep into conversation for not having noticed Rory's text, so now I must find him to deliver the news.

I go back inside, through the spacious living room and to the backyard, trying to see Jackson's head at the table. I see Abby and the others, but not him, so I quickly hide behind a plant so Abby doesn't see me either.

Goddammit, where the hell is he?

I rush up the stairs back to the bathroom, locking the door behind me and sitting on the closed toilet. I take my phone out and I look at the time.

It's almost midnight.

I bite the inside of my cheek as my thumb hovers over the keyboard. My heart feels heavy in my chest, and my eyes sting. I wish I could be there with her.

'even though i can't be there, my heart is with you, princess. happy birthday' I text Diana, adding a bunch of heart emojis at the end.

And then I call Jackson.

He answers the third time, his voice a little weird, "yeah?"

"Where the hell are you?" he doesn't answer and I sigh, "come to the bathroom on the second floor, Rory brought Amelie's handwriting."

"Rory's here?" he asks, surprised. I can hear the muffled music through his end too.

"No, she had to go home, I guess. Just come, okay?"

We end the call and I open the door to wait for him, hoping no one appears to use the bathroom in the meantime.

I see Ian coming out of the first door, the one I had my ear in, and I quickly put my head back inside for a few seconds, for some reason feeling the need to hide; when I look down the corridor again, I see Jackson opening the second door and leaving, walking quickly towards me. I catch sight of a boy leaving too, and going downstairs.

So that's why he didn't come outside.

I lock the door and sit back on the toilet as Jackson gets inside the empty bathtub. I get Rory's sample of Amelie's handwriting and the yellow notes I've been getting, handing them to him. "It's not her, look."

"Goddamnit, I got all that for nothing?" He takes the two pieces of paper to compare them. "Fuck," he looks up, "I didn't think Rory would actually get it."

"Well, she did," I sigh, letting my head rest against the cold tile behind me.

"What are we gonna do now?" He asks, and I watch as he redo the buttons on the upper half of his shirt.

"I don't know," I say, checking my email again, only to see some memes and more ugly jokes, but not any proof yet. "I do have a little plan. Can you track an email?"