Chapter Sixteen: Adrian Calder

Just as we both start to drift off after such a long day, the door is almost knocked down as at least three people bang on the surface impatiently. Aurora is on her feet in seconds with her bat in her hands. 

Yeah, she definitely didn't feel safe in the old place. 

"Here, Rory, sit down." I gently coax her back to the couch, taking the bat from her and putting it back before pulling the gun from my waistband.

I don't normally carry a gun but the idea of anyone getting close to Aurora makes me so unbelievably scared that I figured this would be the best thing for that specific anxiety. I open the door to find all three women and their husbands on the other side. They shove passed me and I roll my eyes before stepping aside to let the men in as they respect boundaries.

"This place looks so good!" Lexie tells Aurora who just smiles in response as the girls start nosing around her things.

"We're sorry for just turning up, Cass. What the Queen wants she gets."

"It's okay, Bear. It's nice to see you anyway." I almost snort, this woman is way too nice. She's exhausted and these people are literally invading her privacy and she's pretending to be okay with that. I can easily see the frustration in her eyes as she sits quietly and I just want to make her feel better but I doubt there's anything I can do.

I just decide to sit next to her, hoping me being close to her will be enough to calm her down and she relaxes enough to rest her entire left side against me as she curls up into herself with the blanket covering her from her shoulders to her toes.

She looks adorable.

I willingly stop all movement to stop myself from disturbing her and she settles quickly. Thankfully, they finally fucking notice how tired she is and take their leave. Each of them saying goodbye and promising that they'll be back tomorrow. "You've gotta eat, Rory. We've only had a few snacks today."

"Let's order takeout."

"Okay." I whisper back, my lips gently brushing her cheek as she grabs her phone and starts putting in her order before giving me the phone to do the same. We have a small tussle over who is footing the bill but Rory wears me down by saying that it's payment for everything I've done today.

I would've continued fighting but the tired doe eyes and soft pout had me losing before the fight even started. After we've eaten I make my way out to my bike with Rory hot on my tail, still wrapped in her blanket and rubbing her eyes. "Will I see you tomorrow?"

"Hopefully, I don't know if Prez'll need me but I'll make time, okay?"

"Thank you, B." She hugs me tightly and I breathe her in as if I'll never see her again even if I'm only going around the corner. "Be safe." She tells me before heading back inside and I find my heart hurting as the distance between us widens.

She's gonna be the death of me.

---------

As expected, Prez brings Boulder and I with him to a meeting three hours away and we have no choice but to accept. He hasn't given us any details but I hope it's just a sister chapter because I don't really feel like fighting today, my body is still reeling from lifting all that stuff yesterday. I tried to make sure that Rory wasn't carrying much even though she fought with me about it at every turn and I'm feeling it now.

Don't regret it though.

I sigh in relief when we pull up outside another Riders of Apollo chapter and kick off my bike, flanking Boulder as we walk behind our Prez. We're basically his bodyguards, we look intimidating due to our size and stature and we can take bullets like nobody else. I've taken seven at once before in protection of Prez and it gained me this position until I choose to hand it off.