chapter five

CeCe flopped onto her bed, letting out a loud sigh. She didn't know why she woke up so early this morning, but it was a good thing because she had to go to the store to pick some things up for Christmas dinner and cookies that she somehow got forced to do. She didn't care how long she wandered around the store since it was so early, and she decided to get a couple of extra things to celebrate the holiday. 

Kicking off her shoes, she stood back up. Her room was extremely messy and today was the day that she was going to straighten it up. CeCe spun around in a circle, looking at all that she had to do. There was a pile of clean clothes in the corner next to her closet. She knew they were clean because her dirty clothes pile was next to her door. Many of her shoes were strewn about, creating an obstacle course. How had she let her room get this messy?

CeCe started with her clean clothes pile. She grabbed the first few things on the top of the pile and dropped it onto her bed. She sorted out the different articles of clothing, smiling whenever she came across something that Rocky gave her or that she stole from her. Many of CeCe's clothes came from Rocky because they loved to share, even when Rocky grew taller than CeCe. She still had some of Rocky's old clothes, but she didn't mind because Rocky said that she didn't want them back. 

She grabbed one particular dress and moved in front of the mirror. She laid the dress out on the front of her body, smiling softly at her reflection. This dress was the one she wore under her graduation gown. It was a soft green color, one that perfectly went with her hair, though it was made her sweat almost uncontrollably because she graduated when it was nearly triple digits outside. Somehow, Tinka had found the fabric and made the dress herself. She actually styled their whole friend group for graduation. CeCe couldn't believe that Tinka would do that for everyone, but she did, and it came at no price to any of them. She never thanked her for that, either. The next time she saw her, she needed to thank her. 

CeCe gently hung the dress on a hanger, setting it in her closet. She quickly finished the first pile of clothes that was on her bed and dragged another pile of clean clothes onto her bed. How did she have that many clothes? She knew that she went shopping a lot back in high school, but couldn't she have given away some of her clothing? Maybe she was too selfish when she was a teenager and could only think about herself over anyone else.

Soon enough, CeCe was finished with the clean clothes pile. The room was looking better already! The bright afternoon sunshine was flooding in through her window, so she opened the curtains, allowing more sunlight to come in. CeCe hooked her phone up to the bluetooth speaker she had in her room and started playing some music, softly at first and growing in volume whenever amazing songs played. 

Shoving the dirty clothes in the hamper, CeCe heard the home phone ringing. She quickly abandoned her work and ran out into the living room, leaving her music playing. She saw Flynn heading toward the phone, and he yelled, "I got it, Mom!" He picked up the phone and spoke into it. CeCe rolled her eyes and turned back toward her room. "CeCe, wait! Rocky's on the phone."

CeCe spun back around and raced forward, stealing the phone out of Flynn's hands. Rocky was calling her on the home phone? That was strange. It was even stranger that she was calling her more than two times in a single month. She put it up to her ear and said, "Why are you calling on this line?"

"Nice to talk to you too," Rocky said drily. She could picture the grin on her face, though. "I tried video calling you, but you wouldn't answer."

"Oh." CeCe slowly walked back to her room, plopping down on her made bed. "I was cleaning up my room and had my music blasting. Can you hear it?" For a second, CeCe brought that phone away from her ear to see if Rocky could hear the music playing. "Did you hear it?"