chapter nine

The ending credits were rolling for the movie on the TV in front of them, but CeCe and Flynn didn't move from their spot on the couch just yet. CeCe was confused by the movie that they had watched, but she didn't want to say anything yet just in case it was just her that was confused. She didn't want to be made fun of for not knowing what happened by Flynn. 

"That was . . . weird," Flynn finally said. He glanced over at her, his eyebrows pinched together. "I was lost the entire time."

"Thank goodness I wasn't the only one," CeCe said, chuckling. She stretched out, closing her eyes. Her fingers and toes were still pretty chilly, but otherwise, the rest of her body was warm. She was glad that she was warmer because she didn't want to get frostbitten and die somewhere on the streets of Chicago. "Is it almost time for you to leave?"

Flynn shoved his hands into his sweatshirt pocket and muttered, "Yeah."

CeCe faced her brother, frowning. He seemed . . . nervous, but she didn't know why. He was never like this, ever. Flynn was the most assured person she knew. Seeing him like this scared her. "Are you okay?"

"Of course, I'm okay," Flynn said, standing up. He turned away from CeCe, walking into the kitchen to grab something to eat before he left. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"You sound nervous." CeCe also stood up, the red blanket that was on her lap falling to the floor. It landed with a soft thump, so CeCe stepped over it and headed into the kitchen as well. Flynn was grabbing another Sponge Cake to eat like his life depended on it. "You can tell me if you're nervous, Flynn. I won't judge you."

"Stop lying," he said, plopping down in the yellow dining chair. He crossed his arms over his chest, frowning. The Sponge Cake sat on the dining table, discarded, like it couldn't help him anymore. "I know you'll laugh at me if I tell you."

"I won't. Slap swear?"

"You know I don't do that."

CeCe sighed, blowing her hair out of her face. It was only her and Rocky that used to do that when they were teenagers. "Fine. You just have to trust me."

Flynn glared at CeCe before looking out into the living room. She stared at her younger brother, wondering when he had grown up. He was always so dependent as a child, but as a teenager, he hardly told her what was wrong with him. She was worried about him, which made her smile because he was worried about her, too. Flynn opened his mouth, but before he could say anything, Georgia swept into the apartment with a huge smile on her face. 

"How are my lovely kids?" she said, planting a kissing on CeCe's head. 

"Who are you and what have you done with my mother?" Flynn said, dodging Georgia's kiss. He jumped away from her before touching his spiked-up hair to make sure it was still perfect after jumping around. "Seriously, though. Why are you acting like this?"

Georgia stood up from kissing CeCe on the forehead, all decked out in her police uniform. She had a certain sparkle behind her eyes that CeCe had only seen twice in her life. The first time was when she was little when her parents were still together. Her dad had surprised Georgia with something -- CeCe couldn't remember what it was -- and her mother stared at her father adoringly. The second time she had seen that sparkle was when she was engaged to Jeremy, the firefighter. That meant that she had met someone else. 

"Who is the guy?" CeCe asked, leaning back in her seat. Her mother looked over at CeCe, frowning at her. That didn't look right because CeCe was usually right about that stuff with her mother. "You never act like this unless a man made you happy, Mom."

"There is no man," Georgia said, pouting. "Can't I act like this around my favorite kids?"

"No."

Georgia rolled her eyes, sitting down in front of CeCe. "There is no guy in my life besides you, Flynnie. I'm just excited for Christmas this year. Even though Flynn may be gone this year, we will have an amazing Christmas, CeCe. And when you get back, Flynnie, we will have an amazing time as well."