chapter two

The early morning sunlight shone through CeCe's windows, bathing everything in the golden hue. All the mirrors she had in her room reflected the golden light all around, so she had her head buried underneath the fresh Christmas comforter she put on her bed the other day just in time for the holiday season to approach. She had been awake for a while but didn't bother getting up as she was incredibly comfortable in her warm bed. It was a Saturday morning, which meant that she could sleep as long as she wanted to. That didn't mean that she could sleep that long, but she always hoped that would work for her someday.

CeCe flipped over to her left side, nearly getting blinded by the bright sunlight highlighting everything in her room. She squinted through the pain, and her eyes caught sight of the scrapbook that Rocky had made for their senior year of high school. It had pictures from their childhood all the way up to that year, but it just wasn't for the two of them. It had pictures of Deuce, Dina, Tinka, Ty, and Gunther in it, and all their adventures were recorded by Rocky with little words of encouragement or remembrance. CeCe didn't know that Rocky was going to do that for all of them, but she was glad she did because it helped her remember the good times she had before her life fell apart. 

The scrapbook was sitting on the edge of her desk in front of the window, and CeCe thought that she could reach it from her bed. She leaned across her bed but came up just a little too short. She sighed but stretched out further and further until nearly half of her body was hanging over the edge of her bed. She didn't want to get out of the warm covers just to grab the scrapbook. But she really wanted to look at the scrapbook right now. 

CeCe was hanging over her bed, her arm waving through the golden air. She was trying to touch the scrapbook with her fingers, but it wasn't working out well for her. CeCe inched further toward the edge of her bed, and then suddenly she was on the frigid floor. She let out a loud groan. The cool wood floor seeped through her clothes, but she didn't bother getting up just yet. Maybe she could go back to sleep right here on the floor. 

"CeCe?" Flynn called out. His voice echoed around her head; it sounded like he was close to her right now, but she couldn't really tell because her eyes were closed. "Where are you?"

"I'm on the floor," CeCe said, raising an arm, waving it around and around. "I fell off of my bed."

"Mom," Flynn yelled from CeCe's doorway, "she fell off the bed!"

"Mom's home?" CeCe hopped up from the floor and saw Flynn leaning against the door frame. He was wearing the Christmas pajamas that their mother got for the whole family to match together, something that she hadn't even touched yet. They were sitting, discarded, in her closet, just waiting to be worn before the holidays. "When did she get home?"

"A couple of minutes ago."

CeCe could feel the panic settling in her chest. Usually on Saturday's, she would be out in the town, acting like she was at Shake It Up, Chicago! so that her mom wouldn't find out that she really didn't work there anymore. How could she have forgotten about that? How could she have let herself stay in bed that long? What in the world was wrong with her? Everything, apparently.

"Does she know I'm here?"

"Of course, she does," Flynn said, shaking his head at her. Because he hadn't styled his hair just yet, it flopped around on his forehead, making him look so much younger than what he truly was. "I just told her that you fell out of your bed. Remember that?"

"Right." CeCe scrubbed a hand across her face, thinking of a good lie to tell her mom for being home today. She turned around and grabbed her robe from her closet door. She wrapped it around her body that it would hide her clothes from the day before that she didn't bother changing after work. "Did she bring home breakfast?"