07 - Close Call

Tine's POV

"We're here" said Wat, with a gentle hand on my shoulder.

I'd dozed off for a bit when we switched places mid-way through the drive. Wat volunteered to drive the rest of the way and give me a chance to catch up on some sleep.

We got down and stretched our legs. I looked around with a contented sigh.

The countryside was beautiful. Fresh green paddy fields as far as the eye could see, dotted with farmers in broad hats. The broad river flowed some distance away, and fishermen stood in the shallows casting wide nets.

The sky was the bluest I'd seen in some time and the air was crisp and fragrant. It was a perfect day.

Or maybe it was because I was with Wat.

"Shall we?" asked Wat with a grin as I stretched again. I hadn't taken a good look at him all this while, and I was struck yet again by how good he always looked.

He was dressed in business casuals, a dark blue shirt, tan chinos and a light grey blazer folded over his arm. I felt my pulse rising again,  my heart beating erratically.

At this rate, my heart would die from being over-worked.

I nodded and we headed to the large cottage that was Commissioner Green's fishing getaway.

Commissioner Green had rapidly climbed up the ranks of the government civil services. He was known to have all the right connections, but wasn't corrupt or subversive. He had a knack for solving problems and was fair and pragmatic in his dealings.

Under him, the Planning Commission had attained international recognition as a thought leader in sustainable, community-focussed urban development. He had an eye for picking projects that would add to the economy, while also looking good for the government's approval ratings.

Green was the Master's's protege, and had worked with him for a few years before he entered government service. He was about ten years older than me. He was regularly featured in magazines as one of the country's most eligible bachelors.

And for some reason, he liked me.

I steeled myself for what was to come. I knew there was no real intent behind his flirting, but he made me uncomfortable sometimes.

Think of the devil.

Green was at the door, a wide smile on his face.

"Welcome to my den, little Tine. So the sheep has come to the wolf's door?" he said smirking at us.

"Good morning, Commissioner Green. I apologize for the intrusion into your personal time, and appreciate you accommodating us on short notice" I said formally, shaking his extended hand.

He pulled me close. "You can invade my personal anything, anytime" he said and blew lightly into my ear.

I jerked back and let go of his hand.

"Come inside and make yourselves comfortable. Let's close our discussions over breakfast and then, I have a fantastic day of activities planned for us. Most of them involve only the two of us, and mostly indoors, but I wouldn't mind your friend joining us" he said with a wink that left nothing to the imagination as to the nature of his activities and led the way within.

I rolled my eyes.

Beside me, I felt Wat draw protectively closer to me, his hand near my lower back but not touching.

"This is Sarawat, the Chief Architect and designer of this project" I said by way of introduction.

Wat and Green shook hands a little more aggressively than necessary.