08 - Stay

Tine's POV

"Wat" I screamed as I saw him being tossed to the side.

I ran to him and knelt beside him. He sat up groggily. I checked him quickly.

His arm was grazed from the fall, his lip was bleeding and he had a slight bump on his head. I gently extended his elbow on the side that the van had knocked into him. He flinched slightly, but nothing seemed to be broken.

I cupped his cheek with my palm and looked into his eyes, worried that he may have internal injuries. "Are you okay? Where does it hurt?"

"Here" he said holding my hand and placing it over his heart. I rolled my eyes and pushed him away.

"You're clearly completely fine" I said coldly as he laughed. But I saw him wince and hold his side gingerly. I was sure he was bruised badly. I held out my hand and pulled him up to stand.

I collected his things, and he leaned against me as we walked to his apartment.

"Do you really need to hang off my shoulder?" I asked skeptically, especially since he was supporting his uninjured side. He looked up at me innocently and nodded. I chuckled and shook my head.

He unlocked the door and pushed it open. "Welcome to Casa del Win. Don't mind the mess, and be careful you don't step on any stray lego pieces. They hurt like you wouldn't believe".

I helped him to a comfortable looking couch and set his things on the table beside it. I straightened up and cast a look around.

It was a small but neat home. An open kitchen extended off the hall, partitioned by a breakfast island. Two doors led into bedrooms.

Colourful bowls and mugs dotted the countertop, the fridge was covered in scribbled drawings and magnets, the walls had framed pictures of Win and Wat.

Tubs of toys were lined up in shelves and a foam alphabet mat covered the floor in one corner. Clearly, Win's play area.

A drafting table and stool were placed nearby. I could see Win playing and Wat working side by side.

Something twinged within me. Was there space for one more?

"Injured hero seeking medical attention here" called out Wat plaintively.

I chuckled and shook my head at him. I quickly put an ice pack together and brought the first aid kit from where he indicated.

I cleaned and dabbed antiseptic lotion on the wounds on his lip and his arm. He held his elbow slightly away from his side. I knew he was hurting.

"You need to keep an ice pack on your ribs. Can you take off your shirt? Do you need help?" I asked and then blushed as I realized how it sounded.

Wat thankfully didn't read anything into it. "Could you help me get a t-shirt please? There's probably one hanging on the balcony".

I brought him a soft, loose white cotton t-shirt. He had unbuttoned his shirt by then. I drew a sharp breath when I saw the many bruises that had begun to bloom along the entire left side of his body.

I wrapped the ice bag in a towel and dabbed it lightly on his skin. I was sure his bones would ache the next day. He needed rest.

"Tine" he said.

"Yeah", I replied.

"I think the van was aiming for you" he said seriously and looked at me. "Is there something I should know?"

I was disturbed by this information. Whoever the maniac was didn't care who he trampled on his path to get to the Master and to me.

I needed to stay away from Wat. From everyone.