Chapter 3: The Library

3rd Person Limited (Aang)

Aang had to admit, he wasn't letting her talk. He didn't want to hear what she had to say... He was afraid.
So, he told her the truth.
Well, parts of it.
Hopefully, the answer was good enough. Hopefully, everything will go back to normal soon.
But there were more important things to worry about.
Everyone was worried about Zuko and Sokka. Katara less worried about Zuko, of course. Fishing trips don't last this long.
On the note they had left, it told Aang to practice his firebending. Which unfortunately, he hasn't been doing. He's instead been procrastinating on it, and exploring the temple. Training with Toph, too, but he considered that procrastinating as well... and he's still procrastinating now, but for a good cause! He hoped.
He stepped foot into the library. Shelves broken and collapsed, books burnt and charred. There wasn't anything left.
Or, that's what you'd think.
From what he remembered, the most valuable and important information was kept in a secret part of the library. You entered through a door similar to the ones in the tunnels.
If they didn't find that, a lot of air nomad history may have been saved! If he wants to bring back the airbenders, he has to know everything he can about his culture. He wished he payed attention during class more, but normally he'd skip them to spend time with Monk Gyatso.
Firelord Sozin took his entire race away from him. What he's done should never be forgiven, and the same goes for Azulon and Ozai. Aang has to end this reign of terror at Ozai, and end his life. But... he doesn't know if he can do it.
Aang shook that thought out of his head, and kept walking.
Toph has been trying to teach him seismic sense, so maybe he could use it to find the secret room.
He tried to concentrate, to feel the vibrations, but after a few minutes, he stopped. Why is it so difficult?
He came to the conclusion that he just has to go off his memory, even though the library is torn apart.
"It's time for training."
"Ahh!" He yelled with a jump.
Turning around, Toph was behind him.
"What're you doing in the library?" She asked.
"I was trying to find anything left of it," He replied.
She turned her heel. "Well, judging by the vibrations of bookworms and shelves falling apart, not much."
He frowned.
"Except over there," She said, pointing in the direction of the door. "Seems like the firebenders didn't get to that room."
He gave a big smile. He should've just asked Toph to help him!
"Yes! Let's go!" He exclaimed, before a rock wall stopped him.
"Let's?" She asked, "Why should I come? I don't know if you forgot, but libraries aren't for me."
He shrugged. "I dunno, I thought it'd be fun." He continued, "And, we don't really have anything better to do..."
"Training is better to do."
"Okay, I'll just check it out on my own."
He started walking away in the direction she pointed at.
"Wait."
Toph crouched down.
"Hm.... I'll come with you. There's something in there."
"There's something in there?"
"It might be just an animal..."
Toph paused before standing back up.
"I'll come."
"I won't need help, I'm good with animals."
Toph put her hands on her hips.
"I never said you needed help, I'm just curious."
Aang grinned.
"Okay, let's go!"

As they got closer to the room, Toph's eyebrows furrowed. She seemed as if she couldn't concentrate.
"Uh... Toph, are you okay?"
Toph stopped, and held her hand out, signifying to stop walking.
"It left the room."
She turned her foot again and her eyes widened.
"It's not an animal, it's a person... riding an animal? I'm not sure, I would've sensed this earlier if Edgelord didn't burn my feet!"
Suddenly, Toph ran in a random direction.
"Where are you going!?"
"Chasing after them, stay there!"
"Why!?"
She ran past a row or two of bookshelves before she could answer his question.
Aang stood for a few seconds, tapping his foot.
"Yeah, I'm coming," He mumbled to himself, before running after her.

After a while of searching he realized he couldn't find her, and he lost the door.
If he always came over here when he was a kid, why doesn't he remember the layout of the library?
He sighed and decided to turn around, but was stopped.
He looked down to see vines curling around his feet.
He quickly brought up a boulder with his earthbending, cutting the vines. He then jumped up onto a bookshelf until something rammed into the bookshelf, causing it to fall over.
He jumped off before it fell, and frantically looked at his surroundings.
Low growling came from behind him.
He tried to jump again but a large jaguar bear pounced on him and Aang nervously chuckled.
Looking up at the mammal, a little girl's head peaked over. She had tan skin and messy dark brown hair.
"Finally!" The girl said.
She hopped off of the jagbear. Her green clothes were worn out.
"Now that I've got you pinned down, lemme see your hand!"
"W-What?"
The girl took his hand and looked at it. She then smiled and shook it.
"You don't have a mark! I'm Kyori, nice to meet you!"
The two stood staring at each other for a few minutes. Aang looked at the animal, and back at her. Was it gonna get off him...?
"Oh, right." The girl pointed to the floor beside her. "C'mere Coal!"
Coal ran over and sat down. Aang stood up and rubbed the back of his neck.
"Coal?" Aang asked.
"Yeah, that's his name. You have a problem?"
"N-No."
"Alright! Anyway, I'm Kyori... did I already say that? I think I did! I'm a brave, strong, warrior with many friends. I'm sweet, kind, perfect, intelligent-"
"Why are you...-"
"Why am I what?"
"Uh... Nevermind. Have you seen my friend anywhere?"
Aang found it weird she was randomly listing personality traits, and he wasn't gonna assume but he felt she was over exaggerating a bit.
"The blind girl? Oh yeah, I trapped her in my secret room of knowledge. Fun fact, you and your friends are the first people I've seen since before I could remember!!!"
"That's, er, interesting. How'd you do the vine thing? Are you a waterbender?"
"No, I'm a plantbender."
"Actually, if you bend plants then you're a waterbender, since that's a subbending to the element."
"Well, I don't know how to bend water. Only plants."
"Strange. Anyway, I really need my friend-"
"If you want your friend, you'll have to do a lot of puzzles! There's no way you can free her from thaOOF!"
Toph had come up behind Kyori and knocked her down.
"Come on, your history or whatever can wait! This girl's crazy!" Toph shouted.
Coal roared but Toph put an earth tent over him and Kyori.
"You sure we should leave her?"
"For now, sure."
Aang looked over at the tents and back at Toph.
"Alright."
Aang and Toph turned around ready to get out of there.
"Wait!" Kyori shouted through a crack in her tent.
The two stopped in their tracks and Aang turned around.
"Could I please come? I wanna be trained by your water tribe girlfriend!"
Aang flushed. "How do you know Katara? And- She's not my girlfriend!"
The girl ignored his question. "Pleaseeeee?"
Aang sighed and turned to Toph.
"Fine," Toph muttered, putting both earth tents back into the ground.
"Yay!" Kyori cheered, hopping onto her Jagbear and riding him towards Toph and Aang.
"Let's see how Prissy Princess will react to another mouth to feed," Toph said.
"I'm sure she won't mind," Aang replied.

A/N: Sorry this chapter was short! I've gotten a sudden boost of motivation though, so I'll be (hopefully) continuing these fanfictions!
I'm sure you've noticed the new character I added ;) you kataang shippers will like her! You'll get to know her more in future chapters. Also, was playing with POVs a bit, hope ya don't mind.